Can n-Track record from a CD player ?

nisthana

I am a newbie here.I recorded my first track on n-Track using the line in, and the second track using the mic.Worked fine.
Then I wanted to play a CD and record a whole song on one track,so I changed the recording source to CD-Audio (instead of line-in or mic), but I wasnt able to record anything.
Why ? I have a SB Live soundcard.

Hmm, I've never tried to do it that way...

The common way of getting audio from CD's is using "ripping" software to create perfect or near-perfect copies of tracks in wave format. Then you import the wave files into n-Track.

Here ya go: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Slackmaster 2000

Oh I have a cheaper-than-ripper solution :-)
I connect the output of my soundcard to line in (using a $4 jumper cable), play the CD and use n-track to record it on one track.Once thats done, I go ahead and record other tracks in normal way.Seems to work pretty good, but I was thinking if there was a direct way to do that.
Thanks for the ripping info though.

you can get rippers for free....i think most burners come with something...if not, www.goldwave.com

i cant think of any reason to "record" other than rip....especially if you have a sucky soundcard.....

Yeah, in that case you're running the signal through crappy D/A and then back in through crappy A/D...much better to just rip...faster too.

Slackmaster 2000

Gidge said:
you can get rippers for free....i think most burners come with something...if not, www.goldwave.com

i cant think of any reason to "record" other than rip....especially if you have a sucky soundcard.....

Is Creative Sound Blaster Live a crappy sound card ? I thot it was pretty ok for recording at home ? Can you suggest a better sound card to use with n-Track ?

I use a program called CDeX. It is free and you can download it here.

After I rip the wav file, I then open N-track, go to Track/Insert wav file. Then I find the wav file (usually in C/cdex/my music/no artist) and select it.
It will load it as a stereo wav file.

Blessings, Terry

Back