Can mastering remove punch in clicks?

jgreen

I'm recording on a Tascam 424 and have a lot of audible clicks from the many punch-ins I've done, many in the middle of a note. I'm going to mix to a CD and have it mastered professionally. Can he remove the clicks? Is it hard or time consuming? I'm on a small budget so is there a certain machine that will do it easily and fast? If so, I'll make sure the guy has one before I go. Thanks a lot!

I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. Punch-ins aren't supposed to be noticeable from the get go. Also, why would you do punch-ins mid note?

Your best option would be to try and deal with them before you finalise the mix.

It is possible to do something about clicks in a final mix, but it is time consuming and you often get sub-optimal results.

Mastering=Least desireable place to try and remove clicks...it might not even be possible.

During the mix: A better place to remove clicks, ideally working on the individual track(s) where the clicks occur rather than the whole mix

At the time of recording: Best place to make sure there are no clicks. There's obviously a problem with our gear or technique--you should be able to punch in easily without any clicks.

Edited to add: you asked about things that can eliminate clicks. I suspect you're not into computer recording but Adobe Audition can be pretty effective at removing clicks--there's an automatic feature if the clicks are minor or, for more serious problems, you can go to spectral view, draw around the click (which will be easy to see in this view) and use the "spot healing" feature. You can get the current version on a free 28 day trial before you have to pay anything and that should be long enough to work through your tracks.

Just coming in sideways -- I remove (and I mean *REMOVE* in most cases) some pretty weird sounds from already-mixed material regularly. Clicks, pops, squeaks, coughs - even clocking errors (which although arguably the most hard-core sounding, are easiest to make vanish)... It's potentially possible. It's potentially a pain in the butt, but it's potentially possible.

NO DOUBT - If you can remove them on the source track, it's going to be a better option than removing them from the mix.

Totally not trying to drum up business, but I have several clients that forward problematic (individual) tracks for just that sort of treatment so they don't have to roll the dice later. Just saying that the option is there and your tracks might not need to be thrown into the bin.

The difficulty level is completely dependent on the source. On the light side, figure 3-4x real time to go through a cursory removal/reduction. In contrast, I remember one 23-minute project that was billed 23 hours just for restoration (it was a rather high-profile client and the only known source was vinyl) -- One hour per minute of real time. But that's pretty exceptional... And it came out pretty exceptional I might add.

Long story short, there are people out there with the tools and the abilities.

Posing it as a question here- I don't recall doing this on a full mix, but easily on even prominent tracks. If the offending noise is very narrow, it seems notching out very small slices in time wouldn't be audible.

If it's clicking during punch in's try adjusting the auto crossfade. What I mean by that is that there should be a setting for crossfading punch in's in the DAW somewhere. That way even if you punch in during a note it should not click.

Alan.

Back