Can mastering remove electrical clicks?

jgreen

I've been getting a lot of them on my 4 track cassette recording and can't seem to isolate a particular track. I'm hoping they can at least subdue them to an inaudible level during mastering. I'll never get anywhere if I have to keep redoing tracks every time one clicks. Any ideas are appreciated.

Sometimes...? You're sort of wandering into "restoration" at that point, but it still even shocks me what can be removed (or at least reduced considerably) with the right tools and such.

I think that the technique to remove those clicks is the same one used to restore vinyl tracks. I have removed clicks and pops from some of my old records over 10 years ago by simply opening the files in a wave editor (such as Audacity), looking for the peaks and drawing them down. Yeah, bigger pops and clicks can be fixed this way! The subtle ones may be harder though. Anyway, I would look for vinyl restoration plugins.

Eh, the technology has improved quite a bit with high resolution spectral editors. You can do a lot less "damage" than with curve drawing.

You can do amazing things with modern editors--I'm using Audition and I once removed a passing ambulance siren from some wedding vows for a guy that asked. Clicks are usually relatively easy.

However, though it might not fit your workflow on a 4 track cassette, I'd probably be trying to remove the clicks from the individual tracks before mixing, let alone mastering.

I've been getting a lot of them on my 4 track cassette recording and can't seem to isolate a particular track. I'm hoping they can at least subdue them to an inaudible level during mastering. I'll never get anywhere if I have to keep redoing tracks every time one clicks. Any ideas are appreciated.
My experience is 'ticks, 'clicks on a track (or mix I suppose) can be ducked' with automation- w/o the drop out being very audible- if they're short enough events.
What can happen is you hear what seems to be a tic', it can vary when you zoom in on it from a fairly short spike' -easily ducked, to a much wider series of spikes (or noise) that dipped' is long enough you'd hear a gap. Then, maybe you're left with some compromise of attenuation' vs the gap (a partial drop4

Eh, the technology has improved quite a bit with high resolution spectral editors. You can do a lot less "damage" than with curve drawing.
Yeah, what I'm talking about's probably pretty crude! Way behind the curve here! :)

I'm with Bobbsy. I use Waverepair for "restoration" and would def. digitize individual tracks, isolate & fix the problem, then mix in the box.

Barring all the fixes that are tedious and time consuming and plain not fun, I'd try to find why the problem is happening at the source. Could be an easy fix like investing in a voltage regulator or a cable that's going south. gl

Back