Can it be done for under $ 1500

cat

To ALL PC BUILDERS;
I'm building a DAW. A Black Rack system. Here are the components I'm using:

Motherboard: Asus CUSL-2C
CPU:Intel P3 933mhz FC-PGA EB (815 E chipset)
Memory: (2) 256 MB SDRAM 133 sticks
HD: Maxtor Diamond Max 40 GB ATA-100
Storage Drives: Toshiba SD-R 1102 DVD/CD-RW (Black)
Teac (Black) 3.5" 1.44mb floppy
Video card: Matrox Millenium G-450 32 MB AGP
Sound Card: MOTU 2408 mk II
Case: Compute-aid 4-U Rackmount case (Black)
Power supply: Enermax Whisper PS
Monitor: Viewsonic 19" CRT E 790B (Black)

If it can't be done for $ 1500, please post the lowest price you see for these parts. Thanks in advance.

i have the same motherboard but with a 733mhz cpu. it's a great motherboard. perfect for recording. the only thing bad is 933mhz and 512mb of ram is the highest it can upgrade to.

So far around $1600 for the PC without MOTU. Probably will come up to $ 3k for entire system, i.e. MOTU, software, etc. But I'll still try to get for less.

you could save some money on the graphics card. if your soul purpose is audio get a Diamond Speedstar 8mb. thats what i use. they're really cheap and will be easier on your processor. btw, what kind of mixer do you have? or what kind are you getting?

right now I have a Tascam TMD-1000 mixer/ PCI-822 sound card set-up. But, If I go with the MOTU 2408 mk II card, I'm going to use a 24 to 32 channel digital mixer. Been checking out the Tascam DM-24. If not that one, probably the Ramsa DA-7.

www.crucial.com has good prices on memory, and www.dirtcheapdrives.com for disks. You can bid on Ebay and digibid for some stuff as well. And do a search for a 4U case. i'm not familiar with compute-aid, but when I was looking at rack cases I was surprised at the prices (way high, I thought).

The Matrox is a great card, even for the price, but there are cheaper ones available that won't affect the performance. A search on a hardware forum would turn up some good results.

Gidge nailed it though (are we really surprised :) ): pricewatch.

if you're going with the cusl2c, i'd go for a 1GHz and a 300W power supply..i purchased a p3 one gig and the asus board back in april for $200........coolermaster has an inexpensive heatsink and fan for the P3 ......
you know, asus makes a black pearl edition of the cusl2c.

that's an excellent link...if i were to build another PC i'd look at the AMD cpu and compatible motherboards.... i've only put one system together by myself....i went with the asus board....i.e., over anything else....i concluded that the mainboard is the PC....at least the main component....if you're gonna build a pc, shop for a good motherboard.....the asus board is rock solid...at least mine is.....perhaps the iwill is as well

but you'd have to be extremely naive to think that the pc is the end of the story.....souncards and drivers make all the difference....i'm just learning about MOTU , but they look like they make great stuff.

Back