Can I use two sound cards in a PC?

kybdplr

I just scored an M-Audio Delta 66
And want to know if I can use the Mic Preamp in my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz simaltaniously with the Delta? Im trying to make a fully mobile Kareoke PC.

Next question, Will the M-Audio Audio Buddy fit into a 2.5" PC bay? That would be cool.

James

I have a Delta 66 also and I also have another sooundcard in the same computer. No probs at all.

Len

Two sound cards?

So each sound cards control panel does the levels? In the Windows XP Audio panel, (Speaker Icon in the systray)
will both sound cards show up or is there a setting in XP to allow more soundcards?

James

you just have to assign which one does which, like which will be for recording and playback and such..

Great! Thanks for the help guys

I wonder if the audio buddy by M-Audio can be powered by my PC.
I beleive its quality will be way better than the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz mic pre-amps.

James

Similar Question

Funny, I'm in a similar situation. I just got an M-Audio Delta 1010LT, but my computer came with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card plus the Altec-Lansing speaker system.

Questions:
- Can I do all recording through the M-Audio card while monitoring and playing back through the Santa Cruz card/speaker system combo? (if yes, would I want to?)

- Do you set up which card does what in the software ap, or in the Control Panel? (I'll be using Sonar and Reason)

...I was a little worried about removing the old card because it had a couple wires running to other parts of the computer, and the speaker system included an additional third output cable (for the subwoofer) that I wasn't sure how to handle...

Thanks for your help!!

You've been getting lot's of "yes" answers here, but for the purpose yopu describe, I doubt it would work.

The two cards have independent clocks, a timing reference chip on board each card that controls the analog <-> digital conversion. I don't think you can reliably run two audio recording inputs at once, since you can only use one card's clock, which typically has no way be locked to the other card's clock.

Exceptions are the better interfaces that are designed to be "stacked," or those that offer a word clock port that can be used to slave one device to the other's clock.

You can use the MIDI synth or MIDI interface on the Turtle Beach while you record on the Delta. But I don't believe you can record or play audio files reliably out both devices simultaneously.

What if you use the same brand soundcard multiple times? I could've sworn I saw a setting on my Audiophile 24/96 to allow you to lock multiple soundcards together.

That's what I meant when I said, "Exceptions are the better interfaces that are designed to be 'stacked'..."

Oh okay. In your post, I thought you were talking really high end gear. Good to know that tidbit of info, since I am going to be building a new computer soon.

Back