Can I use this to record Vocals?

usb mics are generally limited to 16 bit 48 khz, so it might clash with the rest of your project settings and require some fiddling. also, i've read some complaints about the snowball either having noise problems, or having very low gain. i believe that both are alleviated somewhat with a firmware update for the snowball, so if you're going to use it, try to download the latest firmware update.

watermelon said:
Just a guess, but I think he's asking about quality...
It is, sorry if I'm not specific enough for everyone, I'm not that stupid, but I even asked if it was a good idea... or a bad idea, to record vocals with this mic.

kojdogg said:
usb mics are generally limited to 16 bit 48 khz, so it might clash with the rest of your project settings and require some fiddling. also, i've read some complaints about the snowball either having noise problems, or having very low gain. i believe that both are alleviated somewhat with a firmware update for the snowball, so if you're going to use it, try to download the latest firmware update.

That's the answer I'm looking for, I know any microphone can record vocals, I just wondered if this one is a solid enough choice or not.

ChuckV said:
It is, sorry if I'm not specific enough for everyone, I'm not that stupid, but I even asked if it was a good idea... or a bad idea, to record vocals with this mic.

Here`s a thought; TRY IT :rolleyes:

Its your dads mic right? ;)

The reason you mentioned that was because you can borrow it right?

Well do just that, tell us what you think. :)

ChuckV said:

Hey man, if you post here with any sort of regularity, you'll find we can be quite helpful! On the flip side, we're all a bunch of assholes so it's usually a good idea to look over what you've written to make sure it's what you really wanna ask. You'd probably have gotten a better response writing:

"Hey I'm doing a (insert genre) project and I need to record some vocals. I'm looking to get (bla)-quality. My dad's got a Blue Snowball (link): would that give me decent results? Or should I look into purchasing a different microphone for the task and, if so, which one?"

and, if applicable, add in which other mics you own, what equipment you're using to record, etc.

soundchaser59 said:
Best thing about this mic: It's a gateway mic. It will lead to stronger and better and more addictive mics......

Ah yes........ This is what happened to me. And to all of us helpless souls aboard this vessel. ChuckV, leave now while you still can.............

And... All kidding aside, I have no experience with that particular mic. But give it a shot and see what happens. Sometimes we get a pleasant surprise.

It will get you the sound of a moderately good dynamic mic on a moderately good soundcard. For its intended purpose of recording podcasts it will be fine.

I would not suggest it as a first mic for somebody getting into the hobby mostly because it is NOT a gateway. If instead you were to get a separate mic and preamp and interface you are beginning to develop a kit of parts that can be switched around to do many different recording tasks and upgraded independently as your needs develop. The snoball will never be able to play any other role other than recording a single track at once (and monitoring while recording that track is likely to have latency problems).

northern cali said:
hey i got some pancakes on my plate, can anybody tell me how they taste?

well what kind of food do you normally eat? what kind of fork are you using? is the room properly treated?

Back