Can I transpose recorded AUDIO in Sonar 2.2XL?

Jedman

Just was wondering if I can transpose the recording of my trumpet (B-flat scale) up to a C scale in Sonar 2.2XL, or if that's even possible? I know you can transpose MIDI, just not sure about audio.
thanks for info,
Jed

Grab your trumpet track and Transpose it in Cooledit Pro 2.0
The algorithms of Cool Edit for transposing, are the best, a little slow, but the best.

Or if you don't have CEP, just use the PitchShifter plugin destructively... :)

Just a general comment -- pitch-shifting only works well for small changes (up or down a few semitones). Beyond that it becomes really obvious because re-pitched audio data is not the same as the real instrument playing the correct note. The subtleties in the real sound-- the way the body of the instrument responds to being blown into or plucked or struck, etc. -- are missing, and beyond a few semitones the altered audio data becomes quite odd-sounding and very noticeably "wrong." This sometimes makes a good effect, but it will not convincingly sound like the real instrument played the notes you really wanted...

Have to agree with AlChuck here. Even Autotune, which is a $300+ program specifically designed to adjust intonation, will not give you good results if you attempt to shift an entire song by a full note.

I haven't personally used Coll Edit Pro, but I would doubt very much that it will do what you want - and still sound convincingly real.

hmmm...so maybe it's not feasable to do what I wanted...I wanted to play some piano music on my trumpet (along with the piano), but the instrumentas are in different keys.
How much does Cool Edit cost? All I have right now are Sonar and Wavelab...I'm kind of broke after buying all this stuff too! :)

Jed

Piano music on the trumpet? Won't you have to leave a few notes out of the harmonies? ;-)

Trumpet's a Bb instrument, so you're only a half-step away, maybe the audio pitch-shifting will work for you after all. I'd give it a try at least.

If you have WaveLab, CoolEdit isn't necessary, I'm sure WaveLab can do pretty much everything you want. Try SONAR's pitch shift and WaveLab's and compare the results.

Yeah, try WaveLab I forgot it...
But CoolEdit pro 2.0 stills ruling!
C´mon men it´s only a Tone, you don´t have to transpose some "happy birthday" melody and make an arrangement a la John Cage...jups!

Alright, I'll try to figure out how to do that shifting thing. Yeah, I only want to play the top notes - melody line - on my trumpet and have it sit in a mix with a piano playing the full piece.
Ayone know if that plugin for Sonar is extra, or did it come with my CD? I have the 2.0XL CD, which I have upgraded off the website to 2.2 XL if that matters.
Thanks again,
Jed

Yes, you'll have that plugin... If it's not installed, install Sonar again, and pay attention when you get to choose effects to be installed... :)

Here the music theory,

When a trumpeter (playing a Bb Trumpet) plays C, it will come out as Bb, 1 semi-tone. <thinks to himself> Pitch shifter may work for 1 semi-tone.

That aside.... is there a transpose button on the piano?

Porter

Porter said:
is there a transpose button on the piano?
Yep, but you don't need to use it, the trumpet has one... :D

No seriously, that would be to simple, wouldn't it? ;)

My Piano has one... mind you it is an Electronic Piano ;)

The one on the left

I liked the piano sound of the Kawai over the other brands of digital piano.. but that's personal opinion.

Porter

Bb is a WHOLE step below C, not a half step.

Sonar's built-in pitch shifter may or may not do what you want. Certainly seems extreme, when you could just play the part a whole step higher. Orchestral players do this all the time when they encounter older classical pieces that call for a C trumpet. As a french horn player, I had to routinely play parts written in F, E, Eb, D, C, and occassionally A or Bb. But even if you can't do it at sight, just grab a piece of manuscript paper, and write it out.

On an interesting side-note, I transposed a french horn part up a full octave using Sonar's pitch-shifter just as an experiment. It no longer sounded like a horn, but actually sounded very much like a flugal horn/cornet hybrid, and I ended up using it in one of my songs.

So A# = Bb? Then why is it named "B", it should be "H" (like we do it here in europe :D)!

You guys are still doing the "H" thing??

Didn't you ever question why the alphabet went A, H, C, D, E, F, G?

Back