Can I transfer from 4-track to My Pc with this setup??

Philby_Walsh

I have a soundblaster PCI64 soundcard and have read some articles on transferring from a 4-track to a pc via a cable with RCA plugs on one end and a 1/8" mini plug at the other end.

The article states that I need a Line-in jack on my PC.
I have checked the product specs. on the SB site

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/sb64/specs.asp

Connectors

Microphone In Yes
Line In No
Line Out (Front)/Speaker Out Yes
Line Out (Rear) Yes (Amplified out)
MIDI/Joystick Port Yes (Amplified out)
MPC3 CD Audio In Yes
Auxiliary In Yes (Rear Out)
Telephone Answering Device (TAD) In Yes

and it says that mine doesnt.

Does this leave me high and dry or is there a way around it?

Thanks a lot guys.

Hmm, I thought that the PCI64 had a line input, maybe they took it off to make room for the second output. I know the PCI128 had a line in...anyhow...

Those specs might not be quite right; they sure look funny. Why the heck would somebody need an amplified joystick port? And the Aux input is through the 2nd output? Hmm... Plus I've never had a soundblaster that didn't have a line input...doesn't mean that it's not possible though.

Why not just take a look at the back of your soundcard? The ports should be marked well enough, and if you've got 5 (MIDI/joystick, output 1, output 2, mic in, and line in) then you should be fine. Or if you don't feel like twisting our neck around the back of the machine, open up the Volume Control by double clicking the speaker icon on the task bar. Then select Options->Properties->Recording and see if there's a Line In option.

Line in is really your best bet. The mic port will have a crappy preamp, and it's mono (the tip carries low voltage phantom power for little electret computer mics).

Slackmaster 2000

I checked the back and there is:

a mic jack
a speaker jack
2 other jacks that I use for connecting the speaker to the tower.
There is, I think, NO line in jack which makes things impossible for me I think.

I'd be really grateful if anyone had any info. that would help me.

I checked the back and there is:

a mic jack
a speaker jack
2 other jacks that I use for connecting the speaker to the tower.
There is, I think, NO line in jack which makes things impossible for me I think.

I'd be really grateful if anyone had any info. that would help me.

Here is the installation manual for your card:

http://images.soundblaster.com/manuals/sbpci64.pdf

As you can see, the rear speaker connector doubles as an auxillery (line) input. You won't be able to use four speakers while you're taking a line in, but that shouldn't be a huge problem. You'll probably have to use the creative mixer software to set the port from rear out to aux in.

If you don't want to hassle with unplugging your rear speakers all the time, then an extremely cheapo upgrade would be to the PCI128 which has a dedicated line in port, plus two speaker ports.

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks man

cheers Slackmaster2K. I'd be lost without you.

so the Aux In/Rear Line Out Jack is the one I should use as a line in???

This wont blow my soundcard will it?

what do you mean by

"You'll probably have to use the creative mixer software to set the port from rear out to aux in"

I dont have creative mixer software (as far as I know). I was just planning on running the cable from the 4-track to the jack and recording it straight with windows media player.

also what do you mean by

"You won't be able to use four speakers while you're taking a line in"

I only use 2 speakers as it is(and even they are faulty!!).

I hope that you can answer these questions and thanks a lot for your help so far.

Philby

The PCI64 has two speaker outputs (for two pairs of speakers, four total). I thought you were using both of them for some reason.

By "creative mixer", I mean the "Creative Mixer" software that should have been installed with your soundcard. I'm sure you can find a recent copy at the creative website. You'll *probably* need to use this software to switch the rear output to aux input.

If you don't set the output to input (what a crazy design), you probably won't blow anything but you are correct in assuming that it's not good. Just be careful and make sure you know what you're doing.

Slackmaster 2000

Hey guys.

I tried a load of things yesterday trying to get running but the only thing that worked was connecting it to the Mic input.

I checked in my multimedia settings and under Devices-Line Input Devices it lists "Line Inout for Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64V"

why therefore wont it work when I connect the leads to the speaker/aux in jack???

Slackmaster - I didnt really understand what you were saying about the creative mixer software, is there any chance you'd run thro' that again in more detail for a fool like me!!

Cheers guys.

I have the mixer but cant SET IT TO AUX, little help?

hey guys

im really sorry to keep posting (to myself at times :) on this thread but I really want to get my tunes onto my pc and burn them so I can show them 2 some people.

Anyway Ive downloaded the Creative Mixer thing and its bascially just an updated version of the one I already have.

All it really does is control the volumes and the L-R Pans of things like mic/cd/wave/aux. I CANT FIND a way to set the jack to AUX. That is my real problem and Id be over the moon if anyone can help me.

Thanks again guys.

still a prob.

sorry about this guys & gals but i just really need to get some suggestions on this topic & I dont want it to get lost amongst the other posts.

thanks again.

What software are you using to record with? Maybe it is unable to recognize the wacked out setup with the In/Out connector.

Buying another soundcard may be the easiest solution.

The Creative 128 is probably around $30

Software

Im using media player but have tried Acoustica too and neither of them pick up any sign of any input from the 4-track.

If I change to the 128 souncard I still wont have a dedicated LINE-IN on my Pc.That is my problem - I need to set my rear-out to a line-in.

I just cant grasp it

If you switch to the 128 you will have a dedicated line in.

I think your current software is getting confused, by the aux/rear setup.

Download www.goldwave.com

and see if it has more advanced options for selecting the input.

It may give you 'aux/rear' or 'aux' for input options.

The option will be in your Creative mixer is my guess. Make sure you've got the current drivers/mixer for the PCI64 from creative.

Slackmaster 2000

cheers guys

Ya man I have the latest version of the mixer software but as I said b4 theres nothing as advanced as that on it.Just volumes and a left-right pan thing.

I just dont know where to go from here.

any ideas guys? anyone have a similar problem?

You said you cant get aux in to work..

Have you changed the multimedia recording properties to record from aux? Because it defaults to mic.

double click the volume speaker: properties: recording.

If nobodies said it already... I have a short attention span.

Back