Can I record the built-in sounds from a Yamaha p105 digital piano into protools

Maxabillionn

Hey!
I looked around but couldn't find out specifically how to do this.
I want to record the in-built instrument sounds from my Yamaha p105 into protools. The piano has a great electric bass sound (which sounds nothing like a real electric bass, but is funky in its own way) and I want to add that specific sound into my recording. I tried running two 1/4" cables from the L/R outputs on the piano into the back of my Fast Track Ultra, and running a USB cable from the keyboard to the computer. I can get MIDI readings into my tracks, but no sound.

How can I get the Yamaha's inbuilt sound on there? What type of track (i.e. audio, MIDI, instrument...) should I record into? Do I need actual MIDI hookups (which the piano does not have) or can I use this usb with a driver?

Sorry for all the questions, I figured I'd just throw them all out and see if someone can help me out :confused:

midi is not sound it is only performance data (note #xx on, velocity xx, note off).

If you want the internal sounds you need to run the line out to line in on your interface and record audio in your daw.

You CAN record the midi via usb, edit it then send it out to the keyboard and record the audio from the line outs.
A 2-step process but worth it if you need to edit the performance or save it for later.

Back