can i record mics via line in without a preamp, using an xlr-1/4" adaptor?

Veej007

i am buying an audio interface that has line ins but no mic in. can i record the signal from a mic by running it through one of those impedance matching xlr-to-1/4" adaptors you can buy at radioshack, or is absolutely necessary for me to buy a mic preamp?

also (just slipping this one in here because i'm sure it's a pretty obvious, ultra-low-level question) if i want to record a guitar part in stereo, do i need to use two mics? i mean, if i'm going straight to the interface, which has 1/4 inputs for left and right, then i presume i'd need to use two mics... but if i end up buying a mixer, can i go mic ==> mic pre of mixer ==> stereo rca onput from mixer ==> stereo rca input of audio interface? that way, one mic would give me stereo... right?

many thanks from an absolute novice with your patience with my ultra-simple questions...

In a word, no.
Impedance is one thing, and level is another. The mic's output is simply too low to be used with a line input.
You can get a small mixer and do exactly what you described, or a deticated pre-amp. An Audio Buddy is a nice dual pre-amp that can be bought for 80$ if my memory serves my correctly.
There these new Behringer mixers that are supposedly better than their previous line of products, that are also dirt cheap (50-60$, for a 2 pre-amps, and 80$ for a 4 pre-amp board I believe).
Go to a music store and compare these options.

Oren

You need a preamp. Get over it. A mixer with at least 2 busses can be used as a dual preamp, but the quality of the pres is pretty weakas a rule. Get an Audiobuddy or better, a DMP-3 and you're good to go, until the bug bites you again. Sure, the wife won't mind if you remortgage the house to buy a Neve console...Richie

Veej007 said:
can i go mic ==> mic pre of mixer ==> stereo rca onput from mixer ==> stereo rca input of audio interface? that way, one mic would give me stereo... right?
No.
That would give you two channels of mono signal which does NOT equal stereo.

Back