Can I put recessed can lighting in a soundproof ceiling?

jbgoode

I'm trying to build a relatively soundproof basement area and really want to use recessed can lights in the ceiling rather than track lighting.

Want to keep the sound from going up thru the ceiling into the living space above.

Ceiling construction is 2x8 wood framing / insulation / RC / 2-layers of 5/8" gyp.bd. Floor above ceiling joists is typical 1x6 w/ oak flooring.

Looking for any ideas for using recessed lighting or comments on how they will degrade soundproofing.......

Thanks - JB

You will need a certain amount of air clearance for the recessed lighting (fire hazard) -- those things get bloody hot, so it may not be practical anyways since you'll lose a good portion of overall ceiling height.

That's aside from the fact that you'd almost need a floating ceiling under the sound-isolation to make it work -- those recessed lighting pots need airflow, so they CAN'T be made sound-proof.

Stick with track lighting....

Bear,

Your last comment brings to mind a big question I have....

When you install your track lighting, I assume you are screwing the track up into the ceiling? How are you keeping it from being the achilles heal of your sound proofing? I mean John's site says that even a nail hole left unsealed will take away a large portion of what you've worked to achieve in soundproofing a room.

I've often wondered the same question about the resillient channels for drywall... do you screw through the drywall, the channel and into the stud? or do you nail these things (screw them) to the studs... and then screw your drywall into the channel in between studs?

Sorry to break off the subject a little.

Velvet Elvis

When the electrician was doing the install, I had him shoot some sealing foam into the cavity just before mounting the anchors... it seemed to work!

When you install your track lighting, I assume you are screwing the track up into the ceiling? How are you keeping it from being the achilles heal of your sound proofing? I mean John's site says that even a nail hole left unsealed will take away a large portion of what you've worked to achieve in soundproofing a room.

I personally don't think 10 screw holes for track lighting would destory the soundproofing, but if its a concern for you, pre-drill the holes, fill the holes with silicone, then put the screws in.

I'm just going by a quote from John Sayers site...

I haven't constructed my room yet :)

John said "There is one important factor that must be understood about sound isolation. If you build a beautifully sealed wall between two rooms you will get good isolation BUT if you put one nail hole in the wall you will loose a lot of the isolation!! Sound is really not the waves we keep on describing but air pressure difference so if you allow the two air masses to join at any point the pressure gradient will transfer, so make sure that all walls are sealed tightly."

That's why I was curious.

Velvet Elvis

I haven't constructed my room yet :)

Still playing "paper dolls", huh? :D

Sound is really not the waves we keep on describing but air pressure difference so if you allow the two air masses to join at any point the pressure gradient will transfer, so make sure that all walls are sealed tightly."

John of course is right... he clearly has mastered the pursuit of perfection.

Unfortunately, one can't do it perfect every time, there are small tradeoffs every so often. Nail holes might not fall into this category as Bear said - seal 'em up. But in any project, do know that the first 95% towards perfection is easy. Its the last 5% thats the most difficult, and often requires 50% of the work.

Its all the detail work that will kill ya!

Back