Can I post a POD Question here?

MySiteSpace

I know this says just "guitars and basses" - so hopefully I will be fogiven for asking a POD question here.

Through the headphones - I absolutely love my POD - but through my amp it's basically just another effects unit. I want to play my guitar through my POD live (room live not concert live) and have it sound like it sounds through my headphones...

This means a stereo amp but what's a power am and speakers that will give me good, accurate reproduction?

Oh - and without breaking the bank?

Thanks!

I'm just guessing here but if you like the way it sounds through headphones then why not just play it through your hi-fi if you're just going wild in your room?

I couldn't recommend an amp because my neighbors would kill me :P

I want a POD though because everyone says they are amazing but I thought they are $1000?

A POD runs in the $250 range. If they were $1000 they wouldn't be nearly as popular :)

To the first poster, what you're describing is a PA and the answer is "who knows". Lots of people gig by just plugging the POD into the PA system whereever they happen to be playing, and most people who do this say it sounds pretty good.

Personally, I would say that if you're going to invest in a PA for your POD, maybe you should instead just invest in a nice amp. Really, just because you put a POD in front of it doesn't mean that a crappy amp will sound good (believe me, this is coming from experience, hehe). Take your POD to a music store and stick it in front of a few nice amps (try plugging into the effects return to bypass the amp's preamp) and see how it sounds.

OR, if you really like that POD sound, maybe you should trade it in on a full blown Line 6 amp, which basically has all of the direct features of a POD, plus...an amp!

Slackmaster 2000

the pod is not an effects processor. this is the biggest misconception about these units. in my opinion, they should never be used in front of a combo amp. they are designed for direct studio recording, and direct into a pa system. they are supposed to replace your amp. if you want good tone, invest in a good "colorless" amp. i have a roland KC100. it works great cause i run a monitor line to it and i can mix my guitar in myself. this piece is an amp modeler, not an fx processor.

To Molly: Go get a POD! I paid $225 for mine on ebay about a year ago. Now that the XT is out - you can probably get a POD 2 for even cheaper. For the money I think it is the coolest guitar gadet one could have.

foreverain - I'm with you 100%. I appreciate slack's advice but using an "amp modeler" becomes a moot point when your final output is that of an amp - maybe with line 6's amps being the exception - but aren't they just PODs with colorless speakers?

That's what I want - a color less amp with stereo speakers - let's say I check out the kc100 - what are some other models to consider? What about speakers?

And Yes this is pretty much just for rocking out in my personal studio.

Thanks all!

a company called genz benz makes some really nice enclosures as well. basically, these units are little all in one pa systems. they have a little mixer so you can plug multiple sources into them.

I am in disagreement here. The day we start buying POD's and PA systems and calling it a guitar rig is the day I give up on the world :)

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster2K said:
I am in disagreement here. The day we start buying POD's and PA systems and calling it a guitar rig is the day I give up on the world :)
It already happened...
well, in a sense. Look at the enormus rack of the 80's. A rack system is really just a pre-amp/processor with a power amp going to a cab. What would stop someone from using a rack mount POD, to a decent power amp to a "Marshall" cab loaded with PA speakers? You are basically playing the role of amp designer, right?

i guess the reason i got a pod, #1 for my studio for direct recording. #2 so that when i play live, i dont have to carry around my whole stack of speaker cabs and i have 32 different amps at my disposal. i soon found out, that i needed some sort of monitor for myself. i am not suggesting a whole pa settup. these units i have described are single 12" with a horn cabinets and a built in amp. very easy to tote around.

PFDarkside said:
It already happened...
well, in a sense. Look at the enormus rack of the 80's. A rack system is really just a pre-amp/processor with a power amp going to a cab. What would stop someone from using a rack mount POD, to a decent power amp to a "Marshall" cab loaded with PA speakers? You are basically playing the role of amp designer, right?

The enormous racks of the 80s are still around today. The suitcases full of modded stomp boxes are still around today. The POD is a moderately average sounding preamp (call it a modeller if you want but that's giving it too much credit) with horrible effects. I don't see it as a replacement to any gear.

In terms of portability and easy direct recording, it can't be beat.

Slackmaster 2000

I used a Pod for my live rig for two years. It was pretty easy. Although it can be used with a PA, the way I used it was more like using the preamp sections of the various amps, and rolling off the high end (just liek you would with a real amp) using an actual guitar cabinet. I set up all of my sounds to have no cabinet simulations on them, then I ran the Pod into a stereo tube power amp, and out into two 2x12 guitar cabinets (using celestion V30 guitar speakers).

I arrived at this setup after using a bunch of different rigs over time, including several other all-in-one preamps (Digitech 2101, ADA MP-1 and MP-2) then switching for a while to "heads and pedals" (Marshall JCM 800, Ampeg V4, Sunn Model T). In the end, the Pod rig definitely sounded no worse than any of the other combinations, gave me more flexibility than any of them, and provided a few sounds that far outshone anything else I ever had.

MySiteSpace said:
To Molly: Go get a POD! I paid $225 for mine on ebay about a year ago. Now that the XT is out - you can probably get a POD 2 for even cheaper. For the money I think it is the coolest guitar gadet one could have.

What is the XT?

I use POD Pro to a Carver PM125 power amp bridged to 8 ohms mono into a Marshall cab with the cab modeler disabled (live mode), but I'll have to try some PA speakers I've got lying around, good idea! I do, however, bypass the PA, that's generally for vocals. That's live. For recording, I jack the L/R XLR outs of the POD Pro into powered monitors, and mic them! I agree that POD doesn't go into a combo amp. If you don't want to break the bank, try Samson Servo 120 bridged to 8 ohms into almost any 8 ohm cab. If you have an 8 ohm speaker system in your combo amp, you can set up a bypass to jack the power amp right into the speaker(s) -Richie

Slackmaster2K said:
The enormous racks of the 80s are still around today. The suitcases full of modded stomp boxes are still around today. The POD is a moderately average sounding preamp (call it a modeller if you want but that's giving it too much credit) with horrible effects. I don't see it as a replacement to any gear.

In terms of portability and easy direct recording, it can't be beat.

Slackmaster 2000
Ahh... point taken, and agreed with. I thought you were just saying that a guitar should be played thorugh a Fender or Marshall. ;) I've never played through a POD, just read about 'em for recording.

Back