Can I jump in?

MC Gitarz

I've been lurking out here for a couple weeks - seems like a fine place to hang out - some excellent music! I like the critiques a lot - seems like you're not worried about saying what you feel/hear. So, if you get a chance, drop by here http://www.nowhereradio.com/MCGitarz and pick whatever you'd like. "To A Friend" is new and has many issues (lousy vocals? lousy lyrics? - I ain't happy with it.) "Teardrops" is one of my better works (although you may hear/see it differently).

I've downloaded a bunch of y'all's stuff so don't worry - I'll throw my two cents around when I feel plucky)

Thanks in advance!!
MC

(man - y'all got a lot of 'splainin' to do what with these avatars, and all these options and rules written in geek-greek)

I listened to Teardrops.

Good playing. Nice harmonies. Good vocals in general.

The instruments are recorded pretty well. They're a slight bit distant sounding. Not sure, but you may want to work with different mic positions.

Maybe bring the bass up just a little bit.

What's with all the banjo stuff lately?

Nice riff - but you might have overused it a bit

But all in all I liked it.

Thanks! Just what I needed - fresh ears. I used a large diaphragm condenser on the banjo - and maybe 'cause it's such a cheapo I distanced the mic too much. (or would an SM 57 do a better job?)

My wife agrees that the riff may be "slightly" overused. (Translated - I'm sick of it.) But you should have heard the original - I doubled the intros.

I'm skiddish with bass lines - I tend to 'boom' the living crap out of them - so I guess I could be overcompensating.

I don't slice and dice - I don't even punch-in/out. Everything I do is played through from start to finish so re-doing means - re-'doing.' I might try it, though, or maybe modify the bridge to lengthen the 'B' section. I'll have to see what the concensus is.

Thanks for the review!!

TripleM said:
What's with all the banjo stuff lately?

:D :D :D
teardrops...
shit...now I am going to HAVE to learn how to play!!!

I agree with MMM's comment of the riff getting a little repetitive after at tad.

I sure like to hear that banjer take off show us how it's done.

Nice recording actually. I thought it sounded pretty good.

whiskey...
your are getting a good acoustic sound, and harp too. The vocals on this one sound a little thin compared to the fuller sounds you get on your git and harp.
Kicks in good, and nice drum sound. The syncopated feel was a little more than I cared for, as I was really ready for a straight up toe tapper....especially after that drum entrance.
nice lead gtr solo too. A little "strained" sounding, but the drums sound great. Nice room sound to them.
After the song hit me for awhile...I was tapping my toe just fine;)

ok...the quality has me suckered into listening to the 3rd..

but...nowhere is starting to choke up...so I'll catch ya later ..
briefly what I heard sounded rich and full...nice strings and all

all very nice stuff. for a "newbie", I "guess" you're ok!!!

welcome aboard, senior:D

Gotta love y'all's ears! The vocals on 'Whiskey' were done without much compression ('cause I was afraid of the damned thing). I've read a lot about the particular compressor I'm using (twill remain nameless 'cause I won't be able to handle the lambasting!) and apparently the dials are worthless - not accurate.

I'm buying a new banjo so I'll be practicing more. It'll be a while till I can let it rip. I haven't played the thing in a lot of years.

Guess I might be re-doing "Teardrops" but it's really hard to let my wife think she was right about something musically. Maybe that riff really isn't overused - AHA! - A fiddle! I need a fiddle to ride on the second two bars of the riff!!

Can't play the fiddle.

Thanks for the ears!!
MC (I like banjos)

To a friend

Clean. Subdued... almost has dampened 'highs' or something, but still really clean. Sounded like a bass clam there after the first vocal line... bbs member "GT" should hear this one... he'd like it :)

Nicely doubled vocs. A few pitch problems on the word "satisfy" right before "but can this universe..."

You're German? No detectable accent... at least I can't really make one out. (It's at least as good as the guy from "Scorpions" ;))

Really mellow stuff... nice fingerpicking on guitars... folk music in every sense of the word... plus some keyboards :)

Not much in the way of "mix" suggestions... though the overall 2 mix seems slightly "squeezed" and "bleached" if that makes sense... many sounds blend together.. almost blurring together, if only slightly... but that's a very, very picky nitpick.

Teardrops

Okay... this beat is that "folk guy rocking out" beat :p

Nice banjo-er... love the octave pair w/gtr. Sweet. Those little grace notes on the b. are tasty. Very much so. I'm thinking the problem between both tracks lies w/the vocal tracks... they're pretty "plain jane"... lacking "color", for want of a better word. A more flattering mic would do wonders for both songs, and mixes IMO. That's where the "bleached" comment comes from... I think...

Very interesting composition you have here. I like that almost chromatic-upward progression there in your modified chorus. (Or is that just a "D" part? i.e. ABCABD (?))

These tunes are like the best of John Denver... now don't do as he did, flying his glider into the ocean and decapitating himself :)

Welcome to the board! :D

Chad

participant said:
These tunes are like the best of John Denver... now don't do as he did, flying his glider into the ocean and decapitating himself :)

man...he didn't get his head cut off [also]did he?:eek: Man...that's grusome:(

I agree...I think our man here is the new "folk hero" of the boards. Very fine stuff. Work on a little better vocal sound sonically, to match the instruments, and you're about there buddy.
And if you just "picked up" the banjo after a couple of years letting it collect dust[and played that well]... I'll smack ya upside da head!!:D

Listening to Whisky -

Good vox and playing. Sounds nicely recorded to me - simple, folksy, "in the room with you" production style. I'd like to bring the harp in the room with everyone else. I think a little too much verb on there.

Band kicks in - still sounds good. I like it much. Good stuff. Vox remind me a little of Jack Bruce. And arrangement slightly reminiscent of Cream as well? That's cool. One of the few white 60s bands that could actually play blues (my opinion, anyway.:)), as opposed to playing *at* it.

Well, I was intrigued enough to go for a second song.

Teardrops -

Nice use of space on this one. I can really feel the room and the players.

Nice harmonies. Well-balanced.

Just digging the music. No glaring sonic mistakes.

Real nice. Welcome, stranger!

Chris

Wow - I certainly appreciate all the comments and suggestions!

Mixmkr - Thanks!! Whaddaya think about a fiddle on the second two bars of the oft-repeated riff? I won't be setting any banjo-pickin' records for a while, I really haven't touched the thing since 19__ (a long time ago). I'll prepare for the head rush!

Powder - thank you for the comments!!

Participant - good ears, man! The strings are recorded on two tracks. Highs on the left and bottom on the right - but I'm not a good string arranger - should've maybe used 5ths instead of triads. I'm gonna try it. Didn't catch that bass clam - I'll listen again in the studio. As for the "more flattering mic" - I think I need a more flattering voice. I truly don't like the vocals on "Friend" at all. I need to find a frmale voice for this one. (Oh yes - I'm an American living in Germany - so my English is improving). And dont worry I only ride gliders when they're on the veranda!

Groucho - that was my first time recording harp. Actually it was my first time playing harp. I know there's a lot of room for improvement. I've been listeneing to a lot of Jerry Adler - that's tone! I'll dump the verb.

All in all - thanks again, folks. I'll return the favor anytime. I'm road testing an old banjo this weekend so I'll probably have another banjo tune up in a couple days. I know MMM will look forward to that!!

MC

Downloaded last night & listening at work on phones

Listened to Teardrops

WOW…I really liked this. I loved the riff. Overused…Hmmm…I’m not sure. Didn’t bother me. It’s got that ass kickin’ redneck sound I really liked. I liked the kick going on during the riff. Sometimes I think I would have liked to actually hear it a little louder. Not much. Just a little.

I like the song.

Man I love that doubling of the riff with the guit & banjo. I love that kind of stuff.

Thought your voice sounded good in this too. Very good BG vocals.

This hits my keepers folder.

Excellent!!

Back