Can I get data off the C drive like this?

mixsit

I'm transfering to a new pc. Is there any reason why I couldn't mount the old C drive into the new pc as a second data-only drive? I'm not trying to get programs or run it as asystem drive, just data.
Wayne

It's done all the time.
Just make sure the you set the jumpers on the drive.
You could also spend $20 and get a external usb2 case.

mixsit said:
I'm transfering to a new pc. Is there any reason why I couldn't mount the old C drive into the new pc as a second data-only drive? I'm not trying to get programs or run it as asystem drive, just data.
Wayne
Yes. Just make sure the PC is set to boot from the new setup, and not trying to find the OS on the oldC/new Drive.

Cool, thanks guys. I figured as much, it just never came up before.
Dogman said:
Yes. Just make sure the PC is set to boot from the new setup, and not trying to find the OS on the oldC/new Drive.
And just to be clear, as long as the new one is up and running on it's own system drive I'm good to go right?
Wayne

Actually, you could run into some nasty problems.

Windows selectively loads device drivers for the equipment in your box.
Even similar models can have vastly different hardware inside them as the manufacturer changes parts or gets new types of cards, causing funky problems as the device drivers do not match up with your new hardware.

I worked in a world-wide company where we tried to Ghost/duplicate drives from different PCs and ran into so many problems that we finally gave up on it and wrote install scripts so that the machines would have proper installations.

Try it, but if you start having problems think about it....

Well, given that the new installation's registry should under no circumstances point to the second drive for bootup, none of that should ever occur. In fact, there should be NO registry entries ofany type that point to the second drive except for the drive designation entry.

Why copy the whole drive? :confused:
It would seem that you could just copy files you want to a folder/folders and burn them to CD/DVD.

TimOBrien said:
Actually, you could run into some nasty problems.

Windows selectively loads device drivers for the equipment in your box.
Even similar models can have vastly different hardware inside them as the manufacturer changes parts or gets new types of cards, causing funky problems as the device drivers do not match up with your new hardware.

I worked in a world-wide company where we tried to Ghost/duplicate drives from different PCs and ran into so many problems that we finally gave up on it and wrote install scripts so that the machines would have proper installations.

Try it, but if you start having problems think about it....
He would only have problems if putting the OS drive of an old PC in a new PC and trying to run the OS off it. Device drivers and the change in hardware don't mean s@%t if he's just using the drive as a slave for storage.
Stop trying to sacare people.

beezelbubba said:
Why copy the whole drive? :confused: It would seem that you could just copy files you want to a folder/folders...
Don't be confused. It's not the whole drive, just ..'stuff'.. all over it. The cd writer is shot.
When I get the thing in a bay, I'll do just that. :D Even if the writer worked this would be easier.

yeah, there shouldnt be any problems cuz ur not runnin the OS and ur not ghosting ur drive, ur simply installing it as a slave. just MAKE SURE u set ur jumpers (the current drive in ur new computer needs to be on MASTER as well, NOT THE C/S setting). then ur drive that ur installing should be the SLAVE drive. if it doesnt say on the harddrive itself (it usually does), u can do a simple search online depending on which manufacturer drive u have and find out the orientation of the jumpers.

one other thing that wasnt really mentioned, which SHOULDNT cause a big problem or a problem at all, is the powersupply in the computer. i work in retail sales on manufacturer sales for HP, Gateway, EMachines, and Compaq, and one of the things that people dont realize is that the powersupplies inside those computers are as MINIMALISTIC as possible (cheap manufacturers -_- that provide those computers with powersupplys with like 250W-300Ws of power...). so if u find the new drive is giving u stability problems, then i would recommend upgrading ur powersupply to something with a little more juice.

First, if you are using that cheap of a power supply to begin with, I would reccomend a power supply upgrade anyhow. The quality (much more than just the wattage) of a power supply can seriously affect the longevity of all of your parts.

There are also good reasons for keeping ALL of your old hard drives in tact. I used to just copy the stuff I need. After a couple times of thinking I had everything I needed or wanted and realizing a few months down the road though, I have stopped doing that. Now I keep them completely in tact and either slap them on the end of an IDE chain somewhere, or put them in an external casing. Often times I just put them on a shelf somewhere and load them into a removable drive bay or external casing just when I think I need it.

Back