Can I damage my electric guitar amplifier by drumming on acoustic guitar and sending to amp?

gene12586

Hi all,
So I have a part of a song I play on electric guitar. I save it on my looper pedal. Then I need a certain drumming with lots of bass over it to go with the electric guitar. Interestingly I was able to get this drumming sound I was picturing in my head most accurately by taking my acoustic-electric guitar, plugging it into the looper pedal, and then drumming on the acoustic-electric guitar itself (it actually sounded better than using software drums on my DAW), and then having that feed out of my Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue electric guitar amplifier (and then I mic the amp and record it). The drumming has tons of bass and is loud and thumpy.... I'm curious if playing this out of my electric guitar amplifier could possibly damage the amplifier in any way.

Thanks much,

G

It shouldn't as long as you're not overloading the amp in any other ways. e.g. if you're boosting the signal too much with pedals before it gets to the amp or if you have the amp turned up too loud for its own capabilities

edit: typo

It won't be any louder than if you were playing your guitar at that volume. Most acoustics will start to feedback long before they get to full volume.

It shouldn't as long as you're not overloading the amp in any other ways. e.g. if you're boosting the signal too much with pedals before it gets to the amp or if you have the amp turned up too loud for its own capabilities

edit: typo
Thanks so much!!
The only other pedal I'm using outside of the looper is a line 6 stomp hx, which is for the electric guitar - I'm using one of the presets on there which models an amp, has a little reverb, some compression, etc. But that's just on the electric guitar, not on the acoustic-electric which I'm using as my makeshift drum. So I take it I'm fine then...

Back