Can Fender be trusted???????

A GUY NAMED JON

I want to get a new Fender 5-string Jazz Bass. But I keep hearing nothing but negitive things said about the company with the shape that it's in now. I hear old fender products are good if you can find them (In good condition that is). What is going on with these guys?

A GUY NAMED JON said:
I want to get a new Fender 5-string Jazz Bass. But I keep hearing nothing but negitive things said about the company with the shape that it's in now. I hear old fender products are good if you can find them (In good condition that is). What is going on with these guys?

Stop listening to idiots who think they were around in "the good 'ol days". Most of them weren't.

just remember, you get what you pay for. the funny thing is the people who say bad things about fender buy cheap stuff, then try to justify it by saying "its all crap now".
the japan and korean stuff they are making now is just as high of quality as the american. i would rather buy the geddy lee jazz (made in japan) than almost any other jazz that they make right now.
just play every bass you see till you fall in love with one. cause no 2 instruments play or sound the same. you could like one in a store than buy the same thing from a catalog and not like it. if you find one you like buy it, and tell people who nay say to piss off, its your money, not theirs.

i havent had a problem with fender...even their cheap stuff....fender squire strat affinity....i have the strat and the p-bass version and both are doing extremely well under the stress of recording, shows and travel. at this point even though both were made over seas...the workmanship is great.

Thanks a lot I should have known not to trust the guy at the music store (that doesn't carry fender products) It's also funny the Geddy Lee's bass was mentioned because that is the one I want except I don't think a 5-string version is available.

I actually don't currently own a Fender guitar...I have a Les Paul, but I think Fender is currently a much better company. The new guitars they are coming out with are much better and more consistent than the ones Gibson is coming out with. They have some great new amps. Some really cool special editions like the Stevie Ray Vaughn copy strat. I can't remember how many they made, but they actually got to study the original. It looks really cool.

I have a cheap mexican strat that is great....stays in tune and plays wonderful (I had to do a setup on it when I got it home)

I also have a vintage 1966 fender strat that is great...stays in tune and plays wonderful.

I believe in Fender! I have always played strats and I have made decent money playing fender guitars. My '66 strat has been through the ringer...dropped, steped on, thrown against my amp (i was pissed!), And played into the ground. I have refretted it and its like new again.

Fender is better now than ever...go buy one!

A GUY NAMED JON said:
Thanks a lot I should have known not to trust the guy at the music store (that doesn't carry fender products) It's also funny the Geddy Lee's bass was mentioned because that is the one I want except I don't think a 5-string version is available.

WTF do you think that guy is gonna say???

"Yeah, this Rogue for $99 blows those crappy Fenders out of the water!":rolleyes:

c7sus said:
WTF do you think that guy is gonna say???

"Yeah, this Rogue for $99 blows those crappy Fenders out of the water!":rolleyes:

He went in to more detail than that, Also he was pushing Hamer Guitars (which I don't care for ). Also I know people that own some old Fenders and say the new ones do not compare. I was just trying to your guys thoughts on the whole thing.

If the guy doesn't carry Fender products, how on earth would he have enough experience with their current line to make such comments????

It's one thing for the guy to say "we used to carry Brand X but we dropped it because of QC issues" and another thing entirely to dis a line that he can't even get.

Don't compare how??? Please specify.

c7sus said:
If the guy doesn't carry Fender products, how on earth would he have enough experience with their current line to make such comments????

It's one thing for the guy to say "we used to carry Brand X but we dropped it because of QC issues" and another thing entirely to dis a line that he can't even get.

Don't compare how??? Please specify.

His store used to carry Fenders then discontinued carring them. "His" reason he gave me was when fender went mainly over seas the quality of the product wasn't as good, Like the guitars were being rushed. Also the relation they had with the store wasn't good. He belives Fender only really cares about big chain stores and not much for the independant stores. As fore the people I know that own old fenders they just say the new ones don't feel the same and sound the same as their old ones. That is what I've heard I just wanted to know if what I heard was correct.

A GUY NAMED JON said:
"His" reason he gave me was when fender went mainly over seas the quality of the product wasn't as good

Almost all companies make products over seas. Its call cheap labor. Allows the product to also sell cheaper, which in turn, allows more people access to a product they wouldn't have had access to before.

Fender still makes guitars here...ala the American Standard Strat.

But not everyone can afford one of those. But people want one of those. But they can't afford one of those. So people have a want that they can't get. So any business man with half a brain will look for a means of getting the overhead of production low enough that he can sell to those people too.

Basicallt what it boils down to is that this dumbass should have just stopped carring the mexican and korean crap and only carry American made stuff if he acually believe that. Gibson manufactures Epiphone over seas. Hammer probably does too (but I am not too familiar with that company...don't care for their stuff) :)

I happen to know a few store here in Phoenix that don't carry Fender or Gibson. "Guitar and Keyboard City" comes to mind. Funny thing about stores like that...is that they always see to only carry cheap crap.

For a long time it was very confusing. During the 80's and 90's, for the reasons above, Fender produced guitars in a lot of different places. Quality was sometimes shoddy, sometimes spectacular, especially some of the Japanese product. There was even a time when Fender made no guitars in the US at all!

The American stuff is nice, now. Actually worth the money. Solid bodies, and they've gone back to sounding like Fenders. For a long time they made an effort to kind of "mainstream" the sound of their instruments, and cut costs by making guitars with laminated bodies. The American Standards to me were the epitome of over-priced, crappily built, bad sounding Fenders. Like I said, the new American Series stuff is nice. And the offshore stuff is way more consistent.

If you like it, buy it. Like C7 said, don't listen to someone who doesn't carry the line. Dissing something you don't have to sell something you do is a classic salesman technique. Fender definitely plays hardball with it's stores(they can be bastards, actually, kind of the Microsoft of the music industry) but it's been a while since QC was an issue.

And no matter what you buy, if you don't know how to do it, have a guitar tech set it up. Sometimes they will do it at the store for free, but with big stores you generally get what you pay for. :rolleyes:

Maybe I've just had a different experience being in the greater Scottsdale/Phoenix area, which is where Fender is headquartered, but some of their new stuff is really cool. Like the Vibro King amp, which is one of the coolest amps I've ever played, the Deville series amps which are really not expensive and are being used by tons of bands (Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand, Abandoned Pools...just the ones that come to mind). The custom shop guitars that are coming out. The thin-line telecasters which are like $600 and sound really great, I see bands playing them all the time. American strats and teles. I don't mean to sound like a pimp for Fender, because I honestly don't own a Fender guitar (I do own a Fender amp). But just trying out lots of Fender gear at GC has actually won me over. Even the guitars that are made overseas sound really good to me...some of the higher-end Mexican strats and teles. As for Fender not caring about independent stores, I'm really not sure. It just seems to me like Fender cares about guitars and guitar amps, whereas Gibson cares about the Les Paul model and that's about it. Just the way I see it.

It could really be a big mistake to refuse to purchase any instrument made by a company just because you heard a couple bad things about the company. It's a good thing you checked here.

I have a Fender American P and it is a fine instrument.

What it comes down to is you should really play an instrument before you buy it unless you are feeling adventurous and don't care.

bout time you people agreed with me that the p-bass is the greatest of all time

er uhh....ahem....

fender makes great products. my p-bass has never failed me. ever.

the amps rock. the old gear plays just as well as the new. its just all good. i like other brands too, like schecter. but, im just sayin

freak

A GUY NAMED JON said:
No, Fender does not make a stock 5 string verson of the Geddy lee bass... but the Fender custom shop can make one for you. Oh, and in some ways the newer Fender American basses are better than the older ones... through the body bridge, graphite reinforced necks and etc... but, the S1 switching is worthless IMO.

PS... I have a 70's Fender J-bass and a 2003 P-bass (American Made), and a Rick 4003 and etc............

I just found this forum and needed to make a first post to see how this works...

On can you trust Fender... I worked at a music store back in the 60s and owned and loved most the Classic Fenders when they were new. Last year, after not owning a fender for the last thirty five years I bought a cheap Mexican SRV off of Ebay.

It would be stupid to make a quality judgement on Fender based on one guitar but this guitar seems to be everybit as good as anything I owned back in the 60s. The sounds this strat will make seem to be better than what I owned back then.

Your results may vary

I haven't purchased a Fender since '72,.. until last May of this yr. It`s a beautiful tri-tone sunburst Jazz DeluxeV. I was completely impressed with the workmanship,materials, tone, setup, and the finish on it. I'm glad I switched back.

Back