can cold temperatures ruin mics?

bluelonestar

Hello,
I just set up a small studio in a garage and it get's kind of cold out there...especially at night. Is this bad for microphones? I figured they were made to handle a lot...and it doesnt say anywhere not to leave them out in cold weather.

I've got 2 shure sm57s, an audio technica 4033, and a shure beta 52. Should I take them home with me when I'm done recording? I also got my Event PS6 monitors and my computer and Aardvark sound card out there too. Is this bad? I didnt think it would be damaging. I've left other electronics outside in cold and hot weather and even dampness. But my studio equipment means a lot to me. Haven't had problems yet...but I dont want any! Can someone clue me in? Thanks!
-Tom

Well.... I wouldn't leave condenser mics out in the cold, I'd bring them into the house (unless they're the cheap kind - like a Marshall - then it can only help it!)... and as far as the other gear - if it's close (or worse, below) to the freezing mark, then you may have to worry about plastic parts (as in circuit boards) cracking.

I'd look at it this way - you spent all this money on gear, why not invest in a little portable heater for a couple of hundred bucks and not worry about it!

Bruce

Take your mics home.When I had my gear set up in my former garage studio I would always take my mics with me,just in case of a buglery.At least you'll have somthing. Go to your local home center and see if you can find one of those oil filled heaters like the famous "Delongi" brand. They have a 600 900 or combined 1500 watts setting, are economical and safe.I have a couple,one is 10 years old and I run it constantly. You can get them in the northeast for around 50.00. Are you guys insured?

Thanks a lot for your replies. I have a little heater down there but I can't leave it runnning when I leave. I can't even leave it plugged in. Maybe I'll invest in a different one like you said!

But as of now I only have 4 mics so I might as well take them home with me. I've started taking my computer home on the nights we go down there. It won't hurt to take a few more things with me...like the mics and the aardvark breakout box. I guess I'll leave my monitors down there. Thanks again Bruce and Hot Rocks. By the way, how does coldness actually damage microphones?
-Tom

The capsules on condensers are very sensitive to cold temperature and dampness in terms of rigidity/sensitivity of the diaphragm. I keep mine stored at in their cases with a silica gel packet in each one...

Bruce

ive got time to go pick up my microphones right now actually! i know the audio technica 4033 seems like not a lot of money to some people but $350 to me is a lot of money. thanks again.
-Tom

Back