can anyone recommend 24 track hard disc recorder that interacts with 1995 analog mackie board

i have the mackie 24.8 8 bus mixer, a guy said alesis hd24 will interact with my mackie, but a mix review of the alesis says" it doesnt allow multiple track takes" what does this really mean? you mean i cant record 8 drum tracks at the same time as the drummer bangs away one performance of a song? anyone know about the alesis hd24 and familiar with it? i like real gear real mixers and rack units so i want to bypass computers also, can anyone recommend anything to record on hard disk 24 tracks that will interact with analog mackie board? tired of my da88 tapes getting chewed up....
Well you use a tascam DA-6400 with two 16 ch AES cards with nice converters with AES i/o unless you want to go dante and remote patching by a tablet becomes a possibility and opens the door up to a wider good but low priced interfacing like the $200 danteAVIO 2Ch adapters

Edit: The correct way to muti track patch is direct out from each track, plus the direct buss outputs and multi track return to mix B. I'm sorry to inform you that I don't know why the mix review guy is oblivious to how the application of non-linear recording works with hard disk recorders.

Last edited:
i have the mackie 24.8 8 bus mixer, a guy said alesis hd24 will interact with my mackie, but a mix review of the alesis says" it doesnt allow multiple track takes" what does this really mean? you mean i cant record 8 drum tracks at the same time as the drummer bangs away one performance of a song? anyone know about the alesis hd24 and familiar with it? i like real gear real mixers and rack units so i want to bypass computers also, can anyone recommend anything to record on hard disk 24 tracks that will interact with analog mackie board? tired of my da88 tapes getting chewed up....
I think. The HD24 is a great match for that board and it so simple to use. I just pulled mine out of moth balls and am setting it up with plenty of patch bays and all my old outboard gear.

I think. The HD24 is a great match for that board and it so simple to use. I just pulled mine out of moth balls and am setting it up with plenty of patch bays and all my old outboard gear.
one would think you could configure a hd24 to arm tracks individually like the tascam. But if I was setting up one of these tape era boards I would get enough recording i/o so I wouldn't have to patch and re-patch. That gets old quickly.

You can arm individual tracks but you need to select if you want to make an 8, 16, or 24 track recording. So if you select 24, you arm whatever tracks you to record on. Maybe 1-6 for drums as an example.

Recording 8 tracks, when only one had audio is a bit odd, but never caused much of a problem.
I don't understand what you are saying. With the board the he has you can be listening to all 24 tracks if if you are only recording on 1 track. Like adding maracas to track 24 and listening all tracks 1-24.

Back