Can Anyone play this?

CGibson

Below is a direct link MP3 to one of the drum tracks I recorded for a friend of mine this week.
He's putting out yet another book through Mel-bay and like the others will come with a CD to show you how the solos are supposed to sound.

During the recording, mixing and mastering process I was wondering if anybody would actually be able to play these solos.

I'm really not much of a drummer and can't seem to wrap my brain around what He was doing so I'll ask you guys.....would you be able to get this solo down after a little work?

Some of you guys might already know Him from His articles in Modern drummer and the other published books.
You can visit His page here: http://www.robleytham.com

Anyway give it a listen.
And hey since you're listening, do you like the recording?

Listen Here:

C

Last edited:
OK guys I assure you this is not some lame ass attempt at Spam.

I think He's an amazing drummer with tons of talent and
was actually reading the solos from the new book while recording.

About 30 min into recording I even asked Him if anyone will be able to play these solos. "I hope so"

Well??????

C

Um...i'll take the bait i guess...

I'm not a very good drummer so, with out practicing for a year, no i prob. wouldnt be able to play that...nor prob. would i want to since it wouldnt fit with my style of music anyway.

But sepultura does alot of fills like that...south american type stuff.

Recording sounds good, sounds like it was intended to sound good for listening to though rather than studying. For studying you'll want to dry it up a bit. Listen to the recordings Jim Payne has done for Mel Bay and you'll see what I mean.

If I had the tab and the time to practice, yeah, I could get it. No way picking it out by ear.

OK, so this sound is pretty good. Maybe tighted up a bit. As for the solo, Rob is an accoplished drummer. Who cares if you can play his solo. What is important (as a teacher myself) is can Rob teach you the elements that make up the solo. Can you show the student how that beat is built. Can you show them the lessons that will teach them the process. After a student has the "tools" to play that style the solo is nice to listen to so they can hear how to use the tools you've taught them. Then have them come up with their own solo. Can the student write out in music notation their new solo.

To me as a teacher this falls under the catagory of "can you teach me Moby Dick" "Yes I can but wouldn't you rather know how the solo was built?" That is the difference of the quick learn or someone who want's to be a student of the instrument. At least IMVHO.

Thanks guys for the input.
I'm so use to making everything big on the recordings that I never thought it might be better to leave it completely dry for learning purposes. mmmm I'll have to consider it.

I just checked out Jim Payne's audio files and they do sound like a very tight drum machine file.
Still considering it.

Zbert you sound like you're an accomplished drummer as well as a great teacher.
Sure, Rob does break the solos down for His students. (90+) Some of them will pick a solo to work on for several Months to ultimately play in a recital held once a year.
I'm sure you would also be able to break it down and teach your students the solos. But could the average player that reads a little, buy the book and be able to put this together on their own?

Anyway Thanks again for the feedback.

C

Last edited:
CGibson said:
I'm sure you would also be able to break it down and teach your students the solos. But could the average player that reads a little, buy the book and be able to put this together on their own?

Anyway Thanks again for the feedback.

C

I find most average players have trouble with solo books or books with say, Rush songs written out. Once you reach the point where you know the riffs and can read at that level your no longer "average"

Back