Can anyone help with a Mackie mixer + Delta 66 question?

nattn

I just bought a 1402VLZ mixer to replace an absolute piece of garbage Behringer 1604. The problem that I have which is actually a continuation of a problem that I had with the Behringer is that The way I have set up my DAW, my monitor levels are always considerably higher than my recording levels. I cannot figure out why.

My setup

P-3 850 puter
M-audio delta 66
Alesis M-1 Active monitors
Mackie 1402VLZ
AT 4033A mic
POD line 6
Cubase 5/32

I have the ins 1/2 of the delta card going to the control room out's on the back of the mixer.
The out 1/2 of the delta going to the line L/R channel 11-12 of the mixer.
My monitors are connected via balanced XLR to the main L/R of the mixer
My C-R source on the mixer is set to "Main Mix"

Here are the symptoms--
Say i plug the mic into channel 1 of the mixer with phantom power on. I have to punch the trim up to around -30 to -40db for a good hot signal. I record into cubase. When i stop recording & playback the wav file, the volume is considerably lower than my monitor volume, + the wav file does not represent the "hot" signal that I set pre-recording. It seems to have recorded at a much lower level. Does this make sense?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all.

This is the way I setup with the delta 1010, should be very similar for you.

Delta Outputs 1 and 2 into inputs 13/14 on the mixer.

XLR out's to poweramp, to speakers. Same thing your doing minus the external poweramp.

If recording the pod, I go directly out of the left output on the pod, or Left Right if doing stereo, into two inputs on the Delta, usually inputs 7 and 8.

In the maudio control panal, I'll switch the routing so that the ouputs for 7 and 8 are monitoring the inputs of 7 and 8. I run 1 or 2 cables from outputs 7 and 8 into inputs 11/12 on the mixer. I use this fader to control my monitor level. I balance that with the main mix which is coming into inputs 13/14.

If I'm recording a drumkit, I'll run cables from the inserts on the back to inputs 1 - 6 on the delta.

For vocals, same thing. Plug a mic into channel one on the mixer, out the insert into an input on the delta. I use the Alt 3/4 fader and the fader on 13/14 to get a balance going when recording.

If I'm using a pre like the tube mp, I'll take the same approach as the pod. Mic - Preamp - Delta. Delta output back into a spare channel on the mixer for monitoring purposes. Balance that fader with 13/14 until you get a comfortable mix for tracking.

emeric,

Thanks. That opens up a whole new way of thinking about things for me. I'm going to apply some of your advice & see what happens. Thanks for your input.

yeah. It's a little weird right now, but my levels on the pod are perfect when recording & when playing back.

I'm still getting a fairly weak signal on my mic though. I've powered up phantom power, plugged the mic into the XLR on channel 1, output channel 1 via the back of the mixer to 1/in on the delta, but am still getting a fairly weak signal when I play back what I've recorded. My channel 1 is assigned to alt 3-4. Did I miss something?

If your going out the inserts in on the back of channel 1, then that should work. Insert the 1/4" jack to the first 'click'.

If your going out one of the outputs for ALT 3/4, make sure you have the pan panned on channel 1 - left for Alt3, right for Alt 4. You also need to put the ALT3/4 fader up to 0(unity). I don't use the ALT's for anything on my mixer, just adds another stage. Try the insert again, should work. If your going out the insert 1, you don't need to have ALT 3/4 engaged. It wouldn't matter either way though. Make sure the inputs on the Delta are set at -10dB.

Thanks Emeric,

Seems to work much better now. One question though--Why would I change the input settings on my delta to -10db?

Thanks
David

I don't find the mackies (at least the ones I've used, 1402 and 1604) do +4 very well although they are supposed to be able to. Also, if your running out of the insert, your not using a balanced connection anyway. The alt 3/4 is balanced, so you could use balanced wire there, as are the main stereo outputs. I use short cable runs from the mixer to the delta, so noise is not an issue. If you use -10, you should find getting a decent signal level on the delta much easier.

Back