Can anyone comment on Alesis 12R or studio 24?

Jedman

I am kind of torn between getting a rack mount for the convienience (like the Alesis studio 12R), or a consol mixer with more features for just a bit more price (ie the Alesis Studio 24.)
Can anyone tell me some about either mixer? Link is here: http://www.alesis.com/products/mixers/index.html
I will be hooking it up to my Delta 1010, and the Alesis RA-500 amp out to JBL studio monitors. I'll use the preamps for MXL-603s and MXL-V67G mics.

Thanks for opinons, info,etc.
Jed

I've been using Studio 24 in my home setup............I think it's a good entry level mixer.........certainly has more features than rack mount 12R.
Studio 24 is discontinued by ALESIS..........better u buy it from a place like EBAY --------for as low as USD$175 !!!!

www.ebay.com --------PRO AUDIO--------MIXERS

or just hit the link below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&item=2517746321&category=23785

I wouldnt suggest Studio 24 for a Pro Setup............If u r serious about ur sound you should look for something like a line mixer from SOUNDCRAFT(SPIRIT FROM SOUNDCRAFT).........
goodluck!!
greyman(preetmangat@hotmail.com)

I have both a Studio 32 and a Studio 12R. The 12R would be pretty limiting as a studio board: you don't have much in the way of signal routing flexibility. I use mine in my E-Drum rack, and it is good for that.

Both boards have relatively decent mic pres, but I'd second the thought of going for one of the entry-level Soundcraft boards instead. I use the 32 in my remote rack these days, and it does work pretty well for that. If you can find a 24 for ultracheap, though, it bears consideration...

I just got a 12R and like it. I was using a behringer and the Alesis is much better. It is a basic mixer, but I am having no trouble recording and monitoring with it at the same time (with 12 inputs you can be sending 8 channels of audio to your delta, and you can use outs 1&2 on the delta and bring them in the mixer, so you can monitor with previous recorded tracks) . There is no real EQ or anything like that, but it works great for giving you 8 good/decent preamps and outputs for your monitor and headphones..and its only 230 bucks at musiciansfriend. A soundcraft or mackie would be better, but also 400 bucks more.

I notice the Studio 24 and 32 has line-level inputs. as well as pre-amp, So Would this be a good board to mix on? using the EQs and buss system?

I have the digi001 with 8 outputs.

Yes, BUT- the line inputs and mic inputs are both active at all times. There is no mic/line switch, so whatever is on the line input gets mixed with whatever is on the mic input: this can cause you some grief if you have tape outs normalled to line ins. Just something to watch out for...

Appreciate all that info...I put a bid on an Alesis studio 24, just for kicks, and ended up getting it for a little over $200. Figured I couldn't go wrong for that price, and for now it will be more than enough!
I couldn't find a Soundcraft with the same features for anywhere near that price, so I'll try my luck with this Alesis board.
Thanks again,
Jed

Jedman said:
Appreciate all that info...I put a bid on an Alesis studio 24, just for kicks, and ended up getting it for a little over $200. Figured I couldn't go wrong for that price, and for now it will be more than enough!
I couldn't find a Soundcraft with the same features for anywhere near that price, so I'll try my luck with this Alesis board.
Thanks again,
Jed

are you going to use it for post-production? as in mixing? or just tracking purposes?

Hey Toadies, I'm really new at this, so don't know if I'll answer this question right...I'm going to use the mixer this way:
(2)MXL-603s & (1)MXL-V67G mics ---> Alesis Studio 24 Mixer ---> Delta 1010 ---> Dual Athlon PC w/ Sonar ---> record on Hard drive as 3 seperate tracks.

So... would that be tracking? I think I can do everything I need to between the plugins with Sonar, the Alesis mixer, and the Delta 1010's 8in/8out mixing software.

Jed

Jedman said:
Hey Toadies, I'm really new at this, so don't know if I'll answer this question right...I'm going to use the mixer this way:
(2)MXL-603s & (1)MXL-V67G mics ---> Alesis Studio 24 Mixer ---> Delta 1010 ---> Dual Athlon PC w/ Sonar ---> record on Hard drive as 3 seperate tracks.

So... would that be tracking? I think I can do everything I need to between the plugins with Sonar, the Alesis mixer, and the Delta 1010's 8in/8out mixing software.

Jed

That would be consider tracking.

post production is the mixing and master stage.

Back