Can anybody explain preamps to me?

SeekingTheTruth

Hey I'm really knew at all of this and instead of searching the Internet I wanted to ask knowledgeable people directly.

What are preamps, what do they do, and how necessary are they?

Also please tell me what you use yourself.

Thank you.

Wow....you really are new, and that's a very broad question.
In it's simplest form a preamp is literally just that: a pre(before)-amp or a stage of amplification that goes before another stage of amplification. In a guitar amp the preamp is usually a lower powered amp that accepts the instrument level input and balances the signal to be accepted by the power stage or the amp that actually powers the speakers or it can even send this signal into another preamp (referred to as gain staging). It usually also runs this signal through processes or conditioning such as adding equalization or maybe effects, etc. They are everywhere and in almost everything. Guitar effects pedals are types of preamps. So are direct boxes. So are the channel inputs on a mixer. I think it would do you good to read up on it anyway.

Hey thanks. I had some basic knowledge of them before but wanted to firm up my assumptions. Thanks for your help. Also do you know of any links to any sores about them?

How cheap do you mean?

I think you'll need to drop at least around $300 to get "decent"...and by that I mean a preamp that will sound decent with a variety of mics and sources. The FMR Audio RNMP is one....cheap and decent.

For really-super-uber-mega cheap and yet, still quite usable, M-Audio's DMP3 is hard to beat. Just about everything else in that price range should be thrown onto a tire fire (IMO/E). No doubt though, FMR's RNP is ridiculously inexpensive at $500. That's one you won't "outgrow" any time soon...

For really-super-uber-mega cheap and yet, still quite usable, M-Audio's DMP3 is hard to beat. Just about everything else in that price range should be thrown onto a tire fire (IMO/E). No doubt though, FMR's RNP is ridiculously inexpensive at $500. That's one you won't "outgrow" any time soon...

Tire fires are where I find most of my preamps! :laughings:

First, Seeker, you need to understand that preamps are everywhere. If you have a mixer, or an audio interface, you already own a preamp. Now, go figger- If an 8 channel $60 Behringer mixer has 8 preamps in it (one per channel), and say half of the price of the mixer is the preamps, and they mark up the mixer 100% for retail sale, what did those preamps cost? Answer- They cost the manufacturer $2.00 each, and you paid about $4.00 each. Now, an EAR 824 is a 2 channel preamplifier that costs $11,000 ($5,500 per channel). So they're the same, right? Sure, like a used Yugo and a new Ferrari.

That's the first thing you need to understand. Preamps cost from about $1.00 to over $5,000, and basically do the same thing. So what's the difference? Some preamps are cleaner than others, and some are more colored than others. It's not black and white. Preamps raise the weak mic level signal to line level, so it can be recorded, or go to a power amp to drive speakers. Cleaner ones don't change the signal much. They try not to add or take away anything from that signal. More colorful preamps *change* the signal by adding selective distortion. This can be obvious, as in most guitar amps, or subtle, as in some pricey boutique mic preamps. People pay for expensive preamps to make things sound *exactly* the way they sound, *or* to sound *better* than they sound. This color- we call it muddy, distorted, or hyped when we don't like it. We call it warmth or character when we do.

There is very little point in plugging a pricey preamp into a cheap one. Unless you can bypass the preamps in the equipment you are using, you may not get anything out of a good one. Secondly, all preamps create self-noise, which you can hear as "hiss", especially when the gain is turned way up. If you can see it on a meter, we call it a noise "floor". Noise is not "character", and it is *never* good. Better preamps produce more gain and less noise. Whether they are cleaner or more colorful is a matter of preference, and what you intend to use them for. The M-Audio DMP3 Massive Master mentioned is wicked cheap (compared to that EAR I mentioned), about $140. It is pretty clean, and doesn't produce a lot of noise. It also doesn't produce bad color, which manufacturers want to convince you is warmth. The FMR Audio RNP mentioned above is slightly more colorful, and is useful for lots of things. It costs more than a DMP3.

So first, figure out what you would plug a preamp into, and whether that already has preamps. If it does, does it have line inputs that bypass the cheap preamps you already have? I recommend starting with a preamp that is pretty clean. Worry about color later- much later. I prefer 2 channels to 1, as it is very useful for stereo recording to have 2 identical channels. The DMP3 has 2, which is one of the things I like about it. The sad truths about preamps are these: 1.You get what you pay for, and cheap ones generally suck. 2. Sticking a little tube in the front end and calling it a "tube based" preamp just adds to noise and distortion, and does not add pleasing color. and- 3. As in car racing, 90% of the money is spent on the last 10% of performance. The better your preamp is, the more money it will take to get a noticeable improvement. Hope that helps.-Richie

Last edited:
Thank you for this extremely informative explanation Richard! I'm going to have to look more at this and narrow down what I really can afford and what I want to do. But you've made it much easier.

Thanks again!

Or you can try ONE OF THESE!

If the rest of your studio stuff is home based or home budget, this SC4 unit will give you remarkably uncolored signal with enough clean gain for any ribbon or SM7b. I am amazed how high I can crank the gain on it (with a condensor mic plugged in) and get very little hiss or noise at all. And it sounds on playback indistinguishable from any other home budget preamp I've ever used, like the EMU inputs or the Mackie stuff. The tube based stuff is a gimmick, unless you get one that is truly operating high voltage like maybe a Brick, and I've always been curious about the EHX Tube Preamp. The starved plate stuff will never give you better performance than a good solid state home unit like the FMR RNP.

If I had money to burn, all other things in my grundgy basement "studio" being the same, I'd buy the FMR every time.

The sad truths about guitar amps are these: 1.You get what you pay for, and cheap ones generally suck. 2. Sticking a little modeller in the front end and calling it a "tube based" guitar amp just adds to dazed and confusion, and does not add pleasing tube tone. and- 3. As in car racing, 99% of the money is spent on the last 1% of performance. The better your guitar, pedals, tubes, amp and speakers are, the more money it will take to get a noticeable improvement.

Modified to apply to guitar amps.......I was struck by the similarity. Sorry..... :D

Back