Can a Shure SM57 or 58 work for acoustic guitar?

IloveJesus

I'm having a heck of a time with my condensors (cheap, and always a slight buzz..maybe coming from the laptop. I don't know).

Anyway, how will a Shure SM57 or 58 do for recording acoustic steel string guitar?

I'm getting a cheap tube preamp tomorrow. Will that work with a Shure SM 58?

Thanks

What is this preamp you are buying and what are you presently using for a pre?

Oh, wait. Trollin it up. Right, I forgot - sorry Jesus.

No trolling this time.

I'm getting (in the mail) a really cheap ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp.

Do mic pre amps even make a difference with dynamics?

I'm just trying to get clear sound.

Anything will work, a sm57/58 would nt be my first choice. Something in a nice condensor would be my first choice. Then again, on the concert for Bangeldesh I believe they mic'd Harrisons acoustic with something like a sm57 from the film I have. Again, anything will work but I think a 57 or 58 will be a bit harsh. I would not worry about what preamps at this stage.

get the nicest preamp you can buy and it'll make any mic work.

the question is : does he love you?

Last edited:
You will get a more "dark" sound but it will work. When I tried, I also had to place it right up on the guitar and turn the gain way up to get a good signal. I'd much rather use an SDC.

I don't know how much gain the ART pre has, but you will want a lot of clean gain.

Why not just get a pair of naiants? Search this forum for clips people have posted. If I was planning to pend less than $100 to record accoustic, that's what I'd do, and a dmp3 off ebay if the pre's on my interface or mixer weren't up to the task.

But if you're recording accoustic, you better either a) treat your recording space. or b) mic very close to the source

he died 2000 years ago. he can not love anymore.

anyway the art preamp is not good on a 57 it's very noisy and gives very little gain, let alone clean gain. as another poster already pointed out a 57 has a low output so needs a lot of gain on lower volume sources.

the key to a decent sound is a decent preamp and decent converters.

The DMP3 is great, very clean and "accurate" (I have one)

Another good option with very cheap price is the Behringer Ultragain 2200.
Dmp3 seems works better to "rithmn pick L/R guitars", but , to "single notes"(solo), the ultragain has more punch IMO

Ciro

www.soundclick.com/openstation

Thanks for all the info. I'm good now (at least for a little while).

and, yeah he died 2000 years ago (and rose two days later).

I love Jesus too. And I hear from him frequently. He does not need a mic at all BTW.

The SM57, while perhaps not the best mic for acoustic guitar, will do a passable job. It does a passable job on most anything. The ART preamp that you have on the way has plenty of gain, so that is not an issue. If you have not already ordered the ART, (or can change your order) I would suggest getting an M-Audio DMP3 preamp instead. It does well with acoustic guitar with almost any mic, and will give you 2 channels so that you can try more than one mic at a time on your acoustic. It is more money, but if you can swing it it's well worth it.

May I ask what you were plugging your condesors into before you decided to buy a pre?:)

This is a good point. Depending on what you were using as an input device, and what kind of condensers you have, you may find that they sound much better with an actual preamp in the chain. :)

Back