Can A Mixer Make Beats?...

ima_newbie

Okay..im Really Really New At This..ive Started Composing Songs But I Only Get My Beats At Soundclick..n I Want To Start Making My Own Beats..n I Was Wundering If A Mixer Can Make Beats..bcuz Im About 2 Get A Mixer Tom..
..also.wat equipment do i need to record my songs..do i just need a mic ?...sorry im really new at this stuff

-wats a soundcard?????

Thanks =]

You're about to get a mixer tomorrow but you don't know what it does? You should probably do a lot of reading in this and other forums about whats needed to make music. A mixer simply receives and sends a signal, some have crappy effects and stuff but you can't make beats with a mixer alone. You need a cheap drum machine that can store songs and start there.

If you can't wait more than 7 minutes for an answer, perhaps recording/making music isn't for you. :rolleyes:

This isn't rocket science, but it's no walk in the park either.

ima_newbie said:
Commmeoonnn U Guys I Really Need Help :(

Man, your way off, who told you a mixer makes beats? You better do some extreme reading before you buy anything. Because when you go to the store and say something like that the guy is going to look at you like you are a total dummy. Then depending on who he is, he will either rip you off or help you.

do the math

You may be on the wrong path.

Mixer - A device for mixing together and modifying sounds from a variety of sources: microphones, tapes, CDs, musical instruments, etc..

You must have a drum machine which is considered etc.. above to feed into the mixer if you would like beats. As for a sound card, most computers these days come with some version of a crude soundcard that has a line-in. This is not the recommended way but will work if you have some form of recording software. Other than that, there is a whole multitude of Firewire and USB internal and external devices that will do a great job.

Good luck...

mr produca on the matter

what they said!! :D :D :D :D but seriously i was once in your position(seemed i havent moved much :D :D )(cough)
but all jokes aside these guys are really good at giving advice,i feel im on my way to a great studio(as soon as i get my hands on some gear :D :) )
a mixer is nothing without a supporting cast.a drum machine is a good start,there are endless ways to make music.it can depend on genre to as i have learned,this can determine the way you make music,you said making beats though(all i m thinking is hip hop,please correct me if needed)but anyway welcome!!!hope you have a good time :D :D :D :D

If you're on quite a bit of a budget and you're making hip hop music (I assume you are, judging from your grammar and sig), then I'd suggest purchasing some cheap multitracker (n-Track or similar, make sure it is VSTi compatable) and then download a few free drum synths from kvraudio.com. Then do a hell of a lot of reading on recording. It may seem like a simple thing at first, but it's really frustrating when you go to record some music and it turns out sounding like crap. And then you realize you need to spend mucho $$ to make it sound better. Welcome to the mess we're all in :p .

To answer your question bluntly..........no. A mixer does not, has not, and will never be able to make "beats". By beats I assume you mean everything except the vocal track. A lot of people use Fruity Loops (or now it's called FLStudio), but if you're not willing to lay down the money for it just yet, then the n-Track/drumsynth/softsynth method works as well, but it's not as easy to make a decent sounding song. You're music will sound more creative with n-Track because you're actually making the sounds, and making the beats, rather than using a bunch of pre-recorded samples. If you want to spend a lot of time researching, then I highly suggest using n-Track ($50), a drum synth (a couple are free), and some softsynths or samples (some are free). Then all you'll need is a mic and mic-pre for the vocals and you're set. For info on mics, just look around here, and 95% of your questions will be answered. People hate it when they see the same question posted multiple times, so do a bit of work first, so as to not get on people's bad side.

I've just recently doven into the electronic music scene from my traditional rock (all types). I'm starting to make hardcore stuff, so while I do know SOME stuff about synths and drum synths, I know very little. The folks over at KVRaudio.com know 3 million times more than I do, so definately go check them out.

I will answer your soundcard question because I'm in a very informative mood right now. A soundcard is an electronical device that is usually found in a PCI slot on the back of your computer. The purpose of the soundcard is to transfer sound to your computer and back. Most computers come with a built-in soundcard which is NOT made for recording (because the quality is just plain bad, but you should be able to manage for a little while with no new soundcard). The card is actually built onto the motherboard of the computer and is accessed by three 1/8" holes. These holes will usually be green, blue, and pink in color and labelled as headphones, line in, and mic in, respectively. When you get your mixer, you will want to connect the outs to an RCA->stereo 1/8" adapter (radioshack has them) and then to your soundcard's line in (blue). Your mic will plug into the mixer (which has a built-in preamp).

I will not provide a step-by-step guide for you and I will not answer every question you have. I am not a teacher, and a good thing that is, because I get very impatient very quickly. Please, try to work stuff out on your own, look at old posts, read the manuals, and do a little bit of work. I know, it sucks, but no one is going to want to hold your hand every little step of the way, and almost everyone will get annoyed if you constantly ask questions that have been answered already. Let this be a warning to you.

Good luck on all your future recordings! And welcome to the boards.

ima_newbie said:
hey thanks for the help u guys...helped alot..and yes im only 14 is dat bad?..thanks for the help agen!

OK, I'm 21, and I've talked to multiple recording people. One comment word of advice is learn everything about equipment if you plan to be good, and it'll take years of experience to learn all the tricks and answers. I know a guy who got pretty good in 3 years without any schooling, but he also researched a lot, put money into stuff, constantly experimented with different rented mics, and still is only intermediate with basic productions. Trust me, you'll see your progress come along, just with time.

Ironically, I recorded for two years with a $20 labtec mic, and the vast improvement from the first song to the last one I did with it is undeniable from any standpoint. As important as good equipment can be, you still gotta know how to work it.

Back