Can a Computer Recording Sound Professional?

TheloniusMonk

I've been struggling a lot with background noise and hiss, and just not the greatest most professional sound quality, when I record a Yamaha digital piano into my computer LINE IN...

I am considering taking this to an engineer to work on, is it possible to take these mp3 data files recorded on my computer, and get them re-mastered so they will sound as good as a professional recording?

Or once they've been recorded with the computer, they are pretty much wrecked?

Or have any of you figured out a way to make CD's at home that sound as good as the ones you buy in stores?

Thanks..

Monk

You wouldn't take something lossy like a MP3. That will never sound professional. You have to deal with something loss less like wav's. Most of what you hear on CD's from the store were recording on a PC.

The answers is yes, seeing as most professional studios nowadays record on computers.

Cheap/onboard soundcards are really not suitable for recording and audio production, hence your problems with sound quality and noise. Get yourself a decent soundcard / audio interface and you're away...

I have some strange feeling that a new sound card wouldnt fix this issue, there still might be some noise in the background..

Running a cable from audio output into a 1/8 inch stereo cable input, it just doesn't seem all that stable to me... barely touching the cable causes all kinds of feedback, and simply pressing record on my Sony Soundforge causes irregular noise spikes and uneven channel decibel levels before Ive even plugged in a device...

Perhaps a sound card is the answer, but hopefully the input wouldnt be a lot more stable and would have some way of creating noise reduction,...

I dont want to shell out big bucks to I know this for sure...

I have some strange feeling that a new sound card wouldnt fix this issue, there still might be some noise in the background..

Running a cable from audio output into a 1/8 inch stereo cable input, it just doesn't seem all that stable to me... barely touching the cable causes all kinds of feedback, and simply pressing record on my Sony Soundforge causes irregular noise spikes and uneven channel decibel levels before Ive even plugged in a device...

Perhaps a sound card is the answer, but hopefully the input wouldnt be a lot more stable and would have some way of creating noise reduction,...

I dont want to shell out big bucks to I know this for sure...

Your 1/8 stereo input and onboard sound card are not designed for quality audio recording. Your 'strange feeling' is not really warranted.

How about visiting a couple of places near you where they still audio gear and asking for a demo?

As someone else noted, taking an MP3 with the noise you already have to someone to 're-master' is not going to fill your heart with joy and delight. Thre's not much they will be able to do.

Most "pro-sumer" sound cards will not have any 1/8" jack. They will have xlr or 1/4" or phono plugs or all of the above. Most onboard and basic pci soundcards (the kind running 1/8" jacks) are not constructed to record well, just to play back well. A entry level audio interface from any number of places (I use an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and M-Audio Omnistudio USB) will give you much lower noise. I would recommend picking up a USB audio interface from presonus or m-audio with built-in preamps. The only noise I get on my setup is from the music.

Okay, thanks for the advice... what specific USB Audio Interface do you recommend? I dont want to spend more then $100 if I can help it...

Also, I should mention that the Yamaha P-80 have rca audio outputs but I don't think they are specifically considered LINE OUT, so will this effect the possibility of recording with them?

Okay, thanks for the advice... what specific USB Audio Interface do you recommend? I dont want to spend more then $100 if I can help it...

Also, I should mention that the Yamaha P-80 have rca audio outputs but I don't think they are specifically considered LINE OUT, so will this effect the possibility of recording with them?

Though there are plenty of USB interfaces around, I'm not familiar with them, so I can't comment on them.

Your RCA outputs are line level outputs. They will work fine. (I did a Google search for P80 specs).

Once you get an interface, you will need some RCA to 1/4 jack leads.

midi

I've been struggling a lot with background noise and hiss, and just not the greatest most professional sound quality, when I record a Yamaha digital piano into my computer LINE IN...

have you considered midi....

i'm more of a "mic it up" kinda guy, but the vsti's are getting more convincing every year (since you hear so much of it on the radio).

Soundforge causes irregular noise spikes and uneven channel decibel levels before Ive even plugged in a device...

All down to the soundcard.

I've never had any issues with noise or hiss in my setup, even with preamps gained up really high for things like whisper vocals.

Take at look at the M-audio Fast Track USB (just a tad over $100)...
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUSB.html

Or possibly the PCI Audiophile 2496?
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496.html
(not the best but would certainly be a major step up from what you have, *and* it has RCA inputs so you wouldn't need adapters)

The E-MU 0404 PCI is also a good card to get people going, and its bang on budget at $99.
http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=505&subcategory=491&product=10447

So if I get a USB Audio Interface, there is no need to replace the sound card as well, correct?

Sorry for the stupid questions, Im a total newbie at this...

Make sure your keyboard output patches -assuming this applies as with some midi- are optimized and opperating at or near their full range. In many cases as note veloicty is lower, the noise level remains (constant? or at least worse relative to the signal it seems.

Make sure your keyboard output patches -assuming this applies as with some midi- are optimized and opperating at or near their full range. In many cases as note veloicty is lower, the noise level remains (constant? or at least worse relative to the signal it seems.

What are keyboard output patches? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that.. I don't plan to do any MIDI stuff, just want to run my digital piano into the USB interface and record some noise free mp3 tracks...

What are keyboard output patches? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that.. I don't plan to do any MIDI stuff, just want to run my digital piano into the USB interface and record some noise free mp3 tracks...

Sorry I was guessing the thing was midi- not?

So if I get a USB Audio Interface, there is no need to replace the sound card as well, correct?

Sorry for the stupid questions, Im a total newbie at this...

The USB Audio Interface becomes your sound card...and a vastly superior one at that. You'll need to go into your control panel and select it as your primary sound card.

The Tascam US-122L can be found for around $100 and is very ez to install and use.

Attachments

• Tascam 122L.jpg
    Tascam 122L.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 114
OK, any one of the USB or firewire interfaces will be a 10,000% improvement over the stock soundcard.

Do not record in mp3 format, record in wav format and convert to mp3 when necessary. mp3's sound like crap compared to wav files. If you start with an mp3, you have already screwed yourself out of any fidelity.

I understand that budget is an issue for anybody, but getting 'professional' results from $100 interface is going to be a bit of a stretch since 'professional' interfaces tend to cost around ten times that. But just getting clear audio can be done around your price point with any of the USB interfaces mentioned.

Hopefully someone will double check me here on the Yamaha, but by 'patches I meant the keyboard sounds -their set up', and the relative noise level at the analog output.

Back