can a beginner player record a good track?

junplugged

Taking the slow road
If
the part has been worked out and the arrangement of the drum part works with the song, and
the beginner can execute those parts, and then
the part can be edited for the few badly placed hits, and
there is a click track that is mostly kept to, and
the velocities of the hits/kicks are acceptable to the part, and
there are no solos, and
the level of the drums are not way up in the mix like some styles,
nor is there a highly technical requirement like funk, jazz, HM, fast punk, reggae,
and the kit is tuned ok and mic'd ok
then, how bad can the final drum part be even if the drummer is a beginner?

If
the drummer knows the material inside and out
the drummer can keep time
the part doesn't have to edited for bad hits
the click is followed but not worshiped
the dynamics are steady
the solos are tasteful and appropriate
the drums sit in the mix properly
the drummer is capable of performing the material
the drums are maintained and tuned properly and much time has been spent optimizing mic placement
then, the beginner drummer might eventually stand a chance.

Musicians of pretty much any level can record a good song so long as the part they need to play matches their skill level.

There are, of course, some bare minimums you should hit first. Obviously, you need to know how to play the instrument consistently (and for recording purposes, match the click). Consistency doesn't need to be amazing; it just needs to be solid and match the needs of the song.

I can't really have a guy come in here to my pos closet studio and explain what I need since it's like, every day, odd times of day and night, only for 5 minutes, or 5 hours, and constantly changing and I edit, or delete the whole project and start again, or I play to a beat box or all kinds of odd things, and then I attempt to read my charts and then sometimes I loop a decent part, etc...

It's so varied and crazy, I have to attempt to do it myself. I'm probably biased in thinking that it's ok, but I know, looking/listening back, often it's pretty bad, but improving lately. So it would be nice to think that if I attempted it, it might be good enough, but I really don't know. Real drums just add so much to a project, I have to have them, even if I am a decent programmer, and even with these really nice sample sounds lately, I still can't take the time to program and can't edit so much so that they sound real, there's just no feeling to them, and I really can't program intensity changes thru a tune like I can play them, and that's really, really important, to the vibe of a piece, not just live, but making the part breathe, lay back and chill and then build up and burn.

I haven't checked this site in a while - so this response may be too late to be helpful ...... but .......

I beleive a beginning player could record a "solid" track - if the player pays attention to the basics: start with a reasonably well tuned kit, hit each drum/cymbal consistantly, play what is appropriate for the song, lock into the bass line as needed and play within your limitations.

Most beginning players have weak time, can not hit the drums consitantly and tend to speeed up (in particular coming out of a fill. A click track can help with time (assuming the player is not intimidated by the click) practise and knowing the song can help with consitant placement of hits and limiting fills (or keeping then very simple) can reduce the potential to come out of the fill poorly.

In the long run, learning to lay so basic drum tracks will be a valuable skill - for all the reasons you are considering based on this thread

Back