Can a 4-track be used as preamp?

AJ_Cantos

I want to record with Cool Edit Pro, and have an old Fostex 4-track recorder. Can I use it as preamp with my dynamic Shure SM57 mic? I mean, does it amplify in anyway or sufficiently? Thanks.

I can't guarantee that you will get the quality of sound that you want but, yes you can use a four track as a preamp. I use a Yamaha four track with cakewalk through sound blaster live, and thats about as simple a set up as is possible, and have been pleasantly surprized by the sound quality. You may have to experiment with the line out and monitor out form the four track to see which works best with your system, and make sure that you use the line in on your soundcard, not the mic input. Remember digital recording is a little bit different from analog so you may have to try something several times, making the nessassary adjustments along the way to get everything strong and clear but patience, practice and experimentation are the best teachers when it comes to adjusting things for the best sound. If you run into any problems, jump back in BBS and post a new thread, there are some really great people here and I can say from experience, they have helped me many times and will help you too, just ask. Welcome and good luck

Back