calling the pros: need objectivity

nessbass

Hey there!

If you've got a couple of minutes, please go here:

http://members.tripod.de/nessbass/index.html

and download the song 'Schleiermacher' (yes, it is German) from this site. It's a song I did with my band and I need some help. Well, in fact I need another set of ears and brains (which you hopefully provide) to judge the whole thing.

Here is my problem: I performed on this song (played bass), recorded it, mixed it and tried to add some final touches (I didn't say it tried to master it, for heaven's sake! ;) ). I think that says it all...my objectivity is dead sure gone!
We recorded the song in our rehearsal room in a bunker (right word?), that means 8" ceiling, and partly carpeted concrete walls. Made a lot of mistakes at that stage, I guess. Mixing and 'final touches' happened in my bedroom. My equipment is more than basic:

PC running at 400 MHz
128 MB RAM
6,3 GB Harddisk
13,5 GB Harddisk for audio
Audiowerk8
SBLive!
Logic Audio Gold 3.6
Wavelab (old!)
several PlugIns

outboard Behringer 1604 mixer
and Autocom Pro compressor
Alesis MidiverbII (just for monitoring vocals)
Hughes&Kettner CreamMachine for guitar overdubs and general distortion

I use my stereo for monitoring at home. I know, I know, it's horrible. But I know the sound and it works fine for me.

All in all, I guess that I did quite a good job, at least that's my feeling. But I definitely can't tell whether I'm finished or not (or if I'll ever be). So, please, help me.
Just let me know what you think of it. Any hints or tips?

I'll also post this in the mp3 mixing-forum, so don't be annoyed if you run into me twice.

BTW, you mastering guys, I know that this kind and amount of compression/limiting is overkill, but the other members in the band opted for more level to be comparable with commercial products.

thanks for your time,

David.

Back