"Calling on You"

I think all the elements are there in this song, Shawn. Just a little tweaking is in order IMO. .

I'm on it Wig...thanks!!

Pretty good mix. I like the guitars. The main vox are a little too loud.

I'm not feeling the kick and snare sound. That snare sounds pretty bad. Sample? The kick has some high-mid click that's kind of unnatural sounding.

The rest sounds pretty good though. Nice job.

Thanks Greg.... these are live drums, no samples. It's a PDP kit, the laquered one with a 24" kick... it's pretty sweet. Yeah... the snare has a little too much "pssst" in it..... I had it sounding great, and then had to see if I couldn't make it "better." :o

Nice song and production -- at times, I was thinking that the vocals could come down a little. I also wanted to hear the backing guitar line come up a little. Very good positive driving rhythm overall.

Thanks Mr Chef!
Yep....vocals are coming down, and leads are a comin' up!!

My first thought too...:cool:

I have nothing to add that wasn't already said. I have a couple P/W songs in my arsenal too...

http://www.myspace.com/eddiestorey

Thanks for the link, Rokket!!!

I'll hafta check this out tomorrow. I'd post a praise tune I did, but it's a cover, so we'll have none of that, natch... :)

(If you search all threads by me, it's been here before)

Man when I saw this title I thought it was a Stryper cover.
Anyways, you asked for opinions so here I go, remember this is personal taste and personal taste only.

1) Mixwise I have no nits. Worship usually has the vox pretty up front, if this was another genre I'd like the guitars to be more upfront.
2) The vocals were a bit pitchy at times. Not "horrid" at all:rolleyes:
3) Very nice melody and lyrics

Now production wise

3) This sounds like an early modern worship style song. What I mean by that is sounds pretty early to mid 90s worship style. Which is cool, whatever. If you want to make it as an artist however I would go with more modern guitar tones and production (think Hillsong United type-ish, more spacey U2 style arrangements etc.). I realize however that most home recordist dont wanna make it big, they're just having fun which really its what its all about. Im not knocking you at all, its a great song wether "dated" or not.

Mike

I also thought it was a Stryper cover and got really excited. I agree pretty much with everything Nightfire said, but it still sounds like a first mix to me. Sounds good though, and the lyrics don't make me want to gag like lots of worship songs tend to do. It's still no Stryper though ;)

I also thought it was a Stryper cover and got really excited. I agree pretty much with everything Nightfire said, but it still sounds like a first mix to me. Sounds good though, and the lyrics don't make me want to gag like lots of worship songs tend to do. It's still no Stryper though ;)

I'm gonna hafta hear this Stryper song... will someone please cover it so I can get a listen??? :D:D

Thanks for the props, Benirose.

Peace!

~Shawn

Very nice, good production.

I would raise the backing vocals up a bit. I think the whole track might benefit from more backing vocals throughout.

The solo stops WAY TOO suddenly at 2.56 -

The solo doesn't quite fit the rest of the song. This reminds me a LOT of the Barenaked Ladies, a christian version. If you know their stuff, listen to what they do with backing vocals. Do that.:D

Very nice stuff.

Yeppers...that is a good one...although, I was never much of a Stryper fan to start with.

I found it amusing too, that most Christians I had contact with during that period, freaked out if you told the devil to go to hell!!!:D In fact, most thought Stryper to be a product of Satan himself...:eek:

You ever hear Skillet...kick butt. Lori Peters drummed for them till 2006 or 2007...and the bassist wife plays guitar(rhythm I think) and keys. The bass and drums are the feature of the band I think...they were tight with one another...well, the guit is great as well.:D

Whispers In The Dark....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgiJkrAL9K4

I'll hafta check this out tomorrow. I'd post a praise tune I did, but it's a cover, so we'll have none of that, natch... :)

(If you search all threads by me, it's been here before)

Ah, yes, I'd lost track of this thread, now I remember... For sure, the remix is a step up, though this one is not without its charms; I actually like the snare better here than on 2.0... :)

I found it amusing too, that most Christians I had contact with during that period, freaked out if you told the devil to go to hell!!!:D In fact, most thought Stryper to be a product of Satan himself...:eek:

You ever hear Skillet...kick butt.

You mean Stryper wasn't a product of Satan??? ;)

Just kiddin'!

Yep..... I've seen Skillet .... and they surely do rock hard.... pyrotechnix and the whole she-bang ....
Alas, I must chime in with a link to my favorite Christian Metal band, Pillar...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVFiLBkFONI
Seen these guys many times... talk about rockin.... the studio really doesn't do them justice

Listen to Daddy's Little Girl, and you can actually hear the Stryper Influence. Of course I'd lost most of my vocal ability by the time I sang this song. I am going to get vocal lessons soon.

http://www.myspace.com/eddiestorey

Dude, you still gots a set o pipes on you my friend!! Yay!

Ah, yes, I'd lost track of this thread, now I remember... For sure, the remix is a step up, though this one is not without its charms; I actually like the snare better here than on 2.0... :)

hmmm.... better snare huh?? :o

Back