Calling Ethan Pleasseee

stoctony

Ethan and all others,

Call me stupid but I think I just got it. You said before that the best place to record was outside so that the sound just "went away" per say. Soooo...I need to have a room that all waves/sound etc is absorbed so that it basicly "went away". No refraction,reverberation etc. Am I on the right track
If your about to say some refraction/reverberation,etc is good..How do I know how Much.
Thanks

Stockton

Stockton,

> You said before that the best place to record was outside so that the sound just "went away" per say. <

That applies to bass frequencies only. For recording (and mixing) you don't want a totally dead space. You want a controlled ambience, and in particular you don't want walls that are too close to the mikes or to your ears. This is the real problem with recording and mixing in small rooms - the walls are so close they create short echoes. And being close those echoes are also very strong.

> If your about to say some refraction/reverberation,etc is good..How do I know how Much. <

If 20-40 percent of the room's surfaces are covered with absorbing material, that will get you in the ball park.

--Ethan

As always Ethan , Your the man. One more quick question. I wrote to John Sayers but he never wrote me back. Would "stuffing" a corner trap with insulation would do well for a bass trap and should I go from floor to ceiling? Also, how do you get it to absorb only Lows with the corner trap? I am coming along slowly with my recording understanding and you have been a huge help. Thank you.

Also Mike, thanks for the site. You have been a huge help on my "journey"

Stockton

Last edited:
Looks great Mike. You guys are definetly going on my thank you's on my album. Hey from the pics I saw, it wasnt finished. Is it finished yet. OK Dumb question. Do you put money like that into a studio to just have a cool place to record or does it have to become your business after that? Just a thought.

Tony, did you email John or post on the board? I try to make sure no one goes un-harrassed, but didn't see your user name? Also, John's email has shifted a time or two recently so yours may have gotten lost... Steve

Thanks for responding. I thought for sure there must have been some reason he didnt respond. I emailed his address on his web site. I didnt want to really post it because.......well I guess I could have easily posted it...stupid me. I think i might just put a post out. although it seems i havnt seen him post much latley. I figured he was out designing a studio somewhere
Thanks for the concern

Stockton

One more question Ethan????

I still posted a question in the middle of the thread and got going somewhere else so I think it got lost in the MIX. Any way. I was wondering if for my bass traps. I was thinking of making a corner unit and jam packing it full of insulation batting. I will be packed in there very tight. For the front I will need to think of a way to hold it all in without causing reflection. In your professional opinion, does it make sense?? Also, do i need to have a space behind the trap or go all the way to the wall. Thanks as always Ethan

Tony

Stockton,

> I wrote to John Sayers but he never wrote me back. <

John is probably like me, preferring to answer in the forums rather than privately.

> Would "stuffing" a corner trap with insulation <

Sure, the more the merrier.

> how do you get it to absorb only Lows <

Put a sheet of cardboard in front of it?

--Ethan

Ethan Winer is the man

Once again. Thanks a milliion Ethan. I understand what you are saying about John. So will lows go completly though cardboard but reflect mids and highs?

Back