Calling Digital Experts! What Is 96khz Sampling Frequency, Really?

...and, the only real bell or whistle on that computer that is in excess, is the video card, which i wanted to make sure is dual monitor supporting, for ease of editing, and i admit it was a little excessive because there are cheaper dual monitor video cards, but i dont want to have to replace it in a couple of months because its so outdated.

tyler657recpro said:
nope, sorry, you're wrong

Well, I'm certainly glad we cleared that up! Can't possibly argue in the face of such compelling logic! Anyone have a couple of 3630's they'd be willing to sell me? :(

tyler657recpro said:
nope, sorry, you're wrong
I agree with littledog... your "recommendations" are way off.... as well as your theory on DVD....

But keep trying, whelp... in 20-30 years, you might actually convince someone you know something..........

:rolleyes:

"you people really have convinced yoursleves you know what you're talking about haven't you?"

Apparently not as much as you, Tyler.

Tyler, this is NOT meant as another volley in the minor flame between you and bear and a couple of others, even though you've opened yourself up to most of it - I'd rather you take it in the spirit of helpfulness it's intended, please:

If you're trying to get a better setup going, or start from scratch, there are several "givens" about what works; if you want to actually learn what you're doing, the best way is to DO it, not talk about it. If you already have enough gear to make noise, record it, and listen to the recording, the next step is to wring every POSSIBLE bit of sound out of what you already have - set things up as you think they should be, with the ability to play commercial CD releases through your system as if they were your own (same signal path) and listen, listen, listen. Listen to music you want to emulate, listen to music you don't care shit about, listen on phones, in your car, in the living room, on your studio setup, listen to what you can and what you can't hear on each system, listen for tempo, time signature, various instruments, learn to "home in" on one particular ingredient in the mix; Then, record yourself (or others) and re-record until you learn how to optimize your existing equipment for gain structure, noise, mic choice for different instruments, cables, mic positioning, mix volume, etc etc etc, and THEN, and ONLY then, ask yourself what is the weakest link in your system. When the answer isn't YOU, you'll know what to "get" next, whether it's better mics, better speakers, a compressor that actually IMPROVES a track(s), a more comfortable chair, whatever. Just going out and buying a "system" because two kajillion "experts" say that's what everybody needs, will only leave you broke and (hopefully) a little smarter. Actually DOING, and finding out why you should (or shouldn't) have, is where you really LEARN. This method, granted, is NOWHERE NEAR AS MUCH FUN as "getting" a bunch of really cool-looking shit and playing with the knobs/looking at all the blinkenlites, and it takes quite a bit of time and thought, but IT WORKS! And learning just for learning's sake can be pretty satisfying. Plus, you'll only spend about half as much on shit that doesn't even make a good doorstop as you would otherwise.

Again, no offence meant - I wish somebody would have given ME this advice 25 years ago, woulda' saved me 10-15 years and about $50k of the $80k or so spent to date... Steve

I haven't used either the 166 OR the 1066, but if the specs I saw weren't bogus the THD on the 166 is TRASH! For $150 more, the 1066 (supposedly) has less than 1/100 the distortion of the 166. Interesting... Steve

The other thing about the 166xl, is I have, well had, two, and one died just three fucking days after the warrenty wore off. (did i spell wore wrong, woar, whatever). The other one was great tho, except I don't use it much because I bought it for my church, and not myself.

"Knightfly"

Your post was well said "but" there is a few things that can be found lacking so many times in post replies, (nothing personal here.)

WHATS THAT?

A basic gear list which can cover most situations when someone is learning.

Id say the subject has been covered many times in different ways, and again you would probably have to know a little about how the person wants to set up before one can answer the "BIG QUESTION" OF WHAT GEAR DO I NEED?

Now while i can see that comparing one piece of gear to another in someways is highly questionable, given the different flavourings of each piece of gear,Eg: Is a composer pro better then an Rnc etc.

I cant say the same for a Basic useable gear list, making no comparisons on one piece against another but more stating a gear count on gear stating each piece and how many of each piece is required, given you could be tracking and mixing anything from a solo artist right up to a full rock n roll outfit

what is usefull to own and what is just a waste of money when your starting out?

The gear should be able to cover a wide range of uses as well

Eg like saying ok i have two rnc compressors, a composer pro, a dbx160 and using those pieces of gear to cover my compression tasks initally id be ok.

I dont think everyone knows how many bits of each piece of gear they really need to start out with.
I know when i started out in here i didnt know either.

Thats where i think alot of confussion comes into play because, new people come in and see all these posts and most times dont know how to make heads or tails of the information they are reading, essp the posts comparing the best of whatever gear under so many dollars$$$$is suposed to be.

After reading alot of these posts the new person goes of on a tangent or a quest to find out what they need, and most times bothers many around them in this quest ive been there too asked and probably bothered others because at the time i too didnt know the right questions to ask.

Personally i now know a lot can be achieved with fairly basic gear, and that knowledge and carefull planning in setup and enviroment along with correct gear choice to start with will take you further then a rushed together gear list based on just what people say.

I guess its also about knowing a piece of gears limits and knowing how to milk every piece of life out of that gear and make it do what it is you want it too in one word "EXPERIENCE"
and yes i know all that takes time trial and error and many years of practice.

Would it not be better that a basic libary on each subject like a home reccers manual be placed on this site and it be made a part of joining that you read up on all before one goes of into the land of posting the same ole stuff over and over again?

also that those new people spend time in the newbies forum asking questions based on what they have read and only moved out of that forum and given free rain elsewhere on bbs once they have the basic knowledge to ask real questions?

It would also help if that forum was moderated correctly and only moderators with correct info be deemed aloud to answer questionson the subject.

i may be wrong here but im sure if people know how to ask the questions this will also clean up alot of useless questions the pros in here deem frustrating to answer just a thought.

thankyou all in advance for anyone leaving anything positive to this above post.

i may be wrong in my assumptions, but at least ive had a go to state what i see is a problem in alot of places of learning.

Actually, this warning label should just about cover it:

WARNING: Interactions between Tyler and the general membership should in no way be considered representative of the tone or content of the site as a whole.

And if you are looking for active moderation, i think you might be at the wrong site. I've yet to see hide nor hair of a moderator yet.

trebles said:
It would also help if that forum was moderated correctly and only moderators with correct info be deemed aloud to answer questionson the subject.
Well, I've already declared myself the "Loudspeaker God" of homerecording.com some time ago. So, in light of this proposition, I hereby decree that I, the great barefoot, king of kings, am the only soul QUALIFIED to speak on the noble subject of Monitors. "Look on my works ye mighty and despair!":D

>>>> barefoot <<<<

In light of Barefoot's declaration-

I shall be the only one authorized to comment on crack whores. Many newbies actually pay upwards of $50 for a simple handjob. If they had talked to me they would have know to just bring a $5 rock and they can get everthing for free. Stupid newbs.

trebles said:

Would it not be better that a basic libary on each subject like a home reccers manual be placed on this site and it be made a part of joining that you read up on all before one goes of into the land of posting the same ole stuff over and over again?

also that those new people spend time in the newbies forum asking questions based on what they have read and only moved out of that forum and given free rain elsewhere on bbs once they have the basic knowledge to ask real questions?

i may be wrong here but im sure if people know how to ask the questions this will also clean up alot of useless questions the pros in here deem frustrating to answer just a thought.

I think this is an excellent idea, and one that can be achieved much more easily than you might think. I moderate another forum devoted to Double Bass playing, and for a long time I was frustrated by a lot of the same issues: Newbies would show up and ask the same old questions over and over, and the "old guard" members would get annoyed and say something like, "DO A #%!$%#*&! SEARCH!". After about the 50,000th time this happened, I decided to do something to avoid having to deal with the same situation for the next 50,000 years.

Below is a link to a thread at that forum - which, by the way, is powered by exactly the same software as this one - which is my attempt to clear up a lot of these problems. I call them "Newbie Links" threads....what I did was to search, in each forum topic, for useful threads on as many of these "repeat-customer" topics as I could. Then I created a thread in various forum topics which was basically a collection of links to previous discussions of these repeat topics, entitled each of these threads "NEWBIE LINKS", and then stuck them to the top of the forum to which they applied so they would stay on top at all times. So far, the plan seems to be working well, and even when some clueless newbie posts without reading the links thread, all I or any other member have to do in reply is post a reply with a link to the links thread. Here's one from the "Basses" forum:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43093

These threads stay locked so only the moderators can edit them, and when new topics need to be added, it's as simple as editing the thread to add a new link. Yes, putting them together took some work, but the amount of time and frustration they save is well worth it. I imagine that if anyone here was interested in doing something similar, the mods would be all too happy to help you set it up.

So, what do you think? Any of the "old guard" have too much time on your hands and want to perform a public service? :D

Chris,

This is a fantastic idea!

It's just the sort of thing many of us have been suggesting for a long time, but since we don’t administer the board we don’t know the details of how it would be implemented. The participation of some of the more knowledgably members like sonusman have even dropped off significantly because of their frustration around this issue.

I’ll try to get some of the “old guard” to buy into your plan and then we can propose it to the Dragon.

I’ll even volunteer to gather links concerning monitoring issues.

Let’s do it!:D

barefoot

I wont say much more on this as i do realise this aint really the place for this post, but one more thing to add Chris F would be something that worked on keywords, so if a post on the best piece of equipment vs??? came up the post would be blocked and the person would be taken automatically to the subject matter just as you have listed.

the only difference is it dont allow the useless post and does not give the person a choice about posting its sort of a pain but it will stop the continuous subject matter cropping up.

when new and usefull subject matter is found moderators can just add it to the libary as they go so the libary gets bigger as time goes on.

Now just so no one gets the wrong idea here and thinks any one is discriminating, the new person can contact the moderator directly if they feel they cannot find what their after this then gives the moderator a chance to find or answer the individuals question/s in a more direct fashion.

Back