CALLING ALL R2R EXPERTS, AKAI 630dss NEEDS HELP!

So you have 3 Akai's now right ?
I packed up your parts by the way, leaving Monday + a early christmas present inside ;)
hi rolf!
right now i have 2 1/2 akai r2rs. it'll be 3 when p roller gets here. (i'm kidding!:p)
yes, i have 3. i think that's enough. gotta stop buying them. no more room for them.

since my last post i have found the capstan to be bent just a hair. if you look at it head-on you can see it sort of wobble just a little but enough to cause the flutter.
and i also finally figured out how to open up the recorder and clean switches, etc.

it was stored in a barn along next to very heavy old wooden boats, engine blocks, and other heavy items. i suspect something either fell on the recorder or was leaning against it and bent the capstan.

rolf at vintage texas was kind enought to tell me he had a replacement capstan motor that i could purchase, so i did.
now i'm just waiting for scott, the local tech repair guy, to return from a trip early in feb to begin motor replacement (if he cant save old motor/capstan) /repairs.

Westgate, thanks for the update. Keep at it!

Its surprising how little it can actually take to bend a capstan or reel motor shaft, and pretty much imposssible to rectify...reel motor you could get close but a capstan shaft...:(

Glad you have a grip on what the problem is though, and do keep us "posted"!:D

Westgate, thanks for the update. Keep at it!

Its surprising how little it can actually take to bend a capstan or reel motor shaft, and pretty much imposssible to rectify...reel motor you could get close but a capstan shaft...:(

Glad you have a grip on what the problem is though, and do keep us "posted"!:D
thank you for the response.
the fact that after 18 years of improper storage, having stuff fall on it and it still working at all just amazes me.
on top of that, around ~1985 or so, it even took two 4' falls when the tables i had it on during band practices, broke under its weight. 1st one table, a few months later, a 2nd table.
this poor machine has been thru the wringer. and it still works and other than the flutter it sounds really good- ie heads still in alignment.

That is impressive! Don't try that at home. :D:D:D

I'd hate to try drop testing my studio computer from 4' twice...methinks it might not fare as well as your Akai...they may be "dinosaurs", but dinosaurs have bigger bones. :)

That is impressive! Don't try that at home. :D:D:D

I'd hate to try drop testing my studio computer from 4' twice...methinks it might not fare as well as your Akai...they may be "dinosaurs", but dinosaurs have bigger bones. :)

'bigger bones', LOL! yeah.

Quote: from a few weeks/months ago, not sure.
Originally Posted by westgate View Post
hello,
i've got a 30- year old akai 630dss 4 channel/4 track direct drive reel to reel recorder. back in the '80s it twice fell a 4 or 5 foot drop. it got banged up but still recorded and played ok. it's been stored in a barn for the last ~17 years, exposed to temps ranging from -10f to 90f. i just pulled it out 3 months ago. it played fine before i stored it.

now, when i try to play a tape at either speed, 3.75/7.5 ips, there is a slight bit of flutter. otherwise it sounds great! i checked the pinch roller, i think it's fine. i also cleaned head, tape path, and demagged.

there is a very faint vibrato like sound coming from the capstan motor, maybe ~5 times/sec at 3.75 and ~10 times/sec @ 7.5 ips. seems to correspond with the flutter.
i took off some small panels on back of unplugged machine, stuck my hand in to turn motor by hand, but i couldnt really make it go fast enough to make the sound. i was gonna open machine up but it's way too much for my experience level.
---------------------------------------------------------------
today, 2-16-09

original gx630dss (and a replacement capstan motor i got from rolph @ vintage tx) was picked up last wed, 2-11-09,by scott f., a local tech repair guy. if he cant save old motor/capstan, he'll install 'new' one. also a few more minor things to fix.

about 2 weeks ago, i determined that the capstan was bent about 1/16" or less, causing the flutter issue. the bend was determined by looking carefully headon at the spinning (wobbling!) capstan. i hadn't noticed the bend/wobble previously.

be nice to hear the old girl sing properly again.

purchased second gx630dss about 6 weeks ago off the bay. works and sounds great.
will keep first one company when it gets back from rehab.

edit-re cleaning pinch rollers and other rubber parts- windex, unscented, applied with q-tip, recommended by rolf at vintage tx.
Edit/Delete Message

update on ailing gx-630d-ss:

~ three weeks ago scott the tech had installed replacement motor from akai gx630d. turns out that motor had same part # but different mounting configuration and did not fit.

so two days ago he cleaned mounting brackets, a bb like bearing, and some teflon parts, remounted original motor, rewired it, played a tape, thought it sounded ok-no flutter.
i asked him to play a tape of piano music to further check for flutter. he did that today and here is the result-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
this message just came in from scott the tech. (wed eve, 3/25/09, 7pm)

"I can hear wobble in the sound when piano is played.
There's a pickup winding on the motor and the o-scope shows that wobbling in amplitude.
I'm going to try n find that guy in town who rebuilds motors."

i had my hopes up. guess capstan/motor is still sick.

It's back home and singing like a boid!!!
update to all the updates:
AKAI GX-630D-SS REHABBED AND BACK HOME AGAIN!

scott frye of audio fixation in springfield, vt was the tech on this. he ended up switching out the rotor (the capstan is one end) of the replacement motor, and inserted it into the body of the old motor and remounted it, wired it back up and

VOILA!!

it works! no more flutter!
i brought it back home about 45 minustes ago, and played a tape. SWEET!
for a 30 year old machine it's now in great shape.

put it in its own new rack right next to the other gx-630d-ss in its own rack.
the new racks have the recorders poised about 45 inches off the floor, just the right height for head cleaning, light maintanance, etc without having to bend over, etc. which is hard for me to do cuz of my c.o.p.d.

thurs, 4/23/09 is the delivery date for gx-630d-ss #3. guess i'm a collector of them now.

hope to get a camera very soon for pics.

LET'S GO QUADDIN'...!

Last edited:
from post #32, re akai gx-630d-ss #3-

"thurs, 4/23/09 is the delivery date for gx-630d-ss #3. guess i'm a collector of them now."

just checked UPS tracking # and package is out for delivery as of this am.
A WHOLE DAY EARLY!

Akai gx-630d-ss #3 has arrived!
well, AKAI GX-630D-SS #3 was just dropped off by ups about an hour ago. it took me that long to open the flimsy outer box, shovel out the noodles and then i'm staring at a 'whirlwind' road case' encasing the deck, 2 nab hubs, a 10.5" reel of sony tape, and an empty akai 10.5" take up reel, and a users manual.
(those accessories are worth maybe $150 if 'parted out', based on ebay prices i've seen recently.)

so i finally get the deck out of the case, clean the heads, etc, load a tape on and let her rip. sounds very nice, really nice in fact! a couple of switches could use a shot of deoxit but that's to be expected. may need a few minor adjustments re hubs or 10" reels very lightly rubbing on front panel of machine.
may need a little brake work also, not sure yet.

for under $240 + $60 shipping, not a bad deal at all. i think someone may have made a few extra sheckels on the shipping but what the hey...
still a darn good deal!
:D:D:D

New addition to my akai quad r2r collection.

delivered almost a month ago, an akai gx-400d-ss-
it sounds and looks great!

Attachments

• 000_0001_00-2[1].jpg
    000_0001_00-2[1].jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 12
I'm possibly purchasing a 630DSS from an original owner. The one I'm getting has almost no time on it and has been stored in an attic. I'll service it before I do even thread tape onto it. I'm an original owner of a TEAC A 2300 SD and recommissioning it required a lot of cleaning and lubrication. My deck had all its original rubber and all is fine so rubber "can last" a good long time. I bought my TEAC in 1979 BTW.

Love my Lil' Akai GX-4000D :D....:p

A nice elderly couple posted this for free on Craigslist in my area.

When I went to pick it up,..The elderly woman, said,..."Here you go son,..I hope you can get some use out of it,...I haven't played music in over 40 years!"

Well,...To top it off, The recorder looks as if it was used maybe 2-3 times, and then stored away with a cover. Literally,..Mint condition.

One of the best scores I've ever come across!

This Akai records like a champ! Everything sounds phenominal through it.
Especially, Drums, Vocals, and Synths.

It's a little dirty with finger prints right now,..from all the use it has seen,
But, Here's a couple pics.
I was actually just lookin' for an old RTR,..To make a custom tube tape echo out of it,...and I happened to step in sh...

Attachments

• AKAI DX-4000D 010.jpg
    AKAI DX-4000D 010.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 8
  • AKAI DX-4000D 011.jpg
    AKAI DX-4000D 011.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 8
Back