Calling all Cubase experts and Stein-BURGERS!!!

DREAMLABS

Okay here's what's up, I've been using Cubase for years since the days of VST 3.1, as a matter of fact I still use Cubase VST 5.1 extensively. However I need assistance with configuring the Compressor, I AM CLUELESS!

Could someone PLEASE give me a detailed explanation on how to properly confugure the Cubase Compressor, your assistance, any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I'm a Voice-Over Artist/Radio Announcer.

First of all, there is no 1 correct way to use a compressor. It's like asking how to use a brush to make beautifull paintings.

Secondly, it has nothing to do with Cubase. Compressors are simply audio tools. Cubase just happens to come with a compressor plugin. You best bet is to do a search using the Search function of the forums.

Sorry to sound a bit snobbish, but that's really how it is ;)

I would recommend not using the built-in cubase compressor. There are better free vst compressors than that: blockfish, classic compressor, etc.

Also, there is no correct configuration for a compressor that will work for everything. There are knobs that do specific things and the only way to figure out what sounds best for your work is to start turning those knobs and figure out how they affect the sound.

Read up on the basics of compressors here: http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

Hi Dreamlabs I see you're a voiceover. I used to work with people like you in my past life...

Using a compressor will get better with experience - you simply have to experiment. Find out what each setting does (threshold, ratio etc.) then find what sounds best. There are no hard-and-fast rules about using compression I'm afraid.

Depending on what the final product is going to be (radio ad? Documentary?), you'll use different amounts of compression on the voice. For example, a radio ad would use a high ratio to add punch and stay constantly loud, while a history documentary would have more conservative settings. Have a tinker around and enjoy...!

Back