Californication guitar

ggunn

Crystal Flavolian
My wife and I are watching the DVD's of the HBO series Californication, and about midway in the first season, Duchovny's character takes his daughter into a music store to buy her a guitar, and a guy is in there trying to sell a vintage Gibson, but the store owner won't meet his price. The daughter sees this and gets Dad to buy it from the guy. They make a big deal about how valuable the guitar is, but we don't get a good look at it until the season closer, which we watched last night. It appears to be a blonde/natural Les Paul Junior with the full sized headstock and dual PAF pickups. Would such a guitar truly be a pricey vintage axe?

BTW, Gibson obviously has a product placement deal with HBO for their gear in this series.

If it looks like an LP Junior with 2 P-90's, then it's an LP Special.
'55 to '59, they were in TV Yellow (maybe this is what you saw. Juniors or Specials were ever natural from the factory, they were sunburst, cherry or TV yellow).
Price guide puts it between $11-14 K. Don't know if you would consider that pricey (I would ;) )

If it's not that, don't quite know what it would be.

If it looks like an LP Junior with 2 P-90's, then it's an LP Special.
'55 to '59, they were in TV Yellow (maybe this is what you saw. Juniors or Specials were ever natural from the factory, they were sunburst, cherry or TV yellow).
Price guide puts it between $11-14 K. Don't know if you would consider that pricey (I would ;) )

If it's not that, don't quite know what it would be.
Yep, that's it. I'll bet that the one on the show was a reissue, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Custom-Special-Cutaway-Electric/dp/B001H8CCLY

Back