Calibrating Studio Monitor

leinad_kpg

Hi! there can someone help me on how to calibrate studio monitors...... i have Alesis M1 Active 520 Monitors and i heard i had to calibate my monitors to get the best sound from them. So it would really be a great help if someone could give me an idea of how its done . Thanx

What you actually need to do is calibrate your volume control.

Simply put, you should play back c-weighted pink noise that has an RMS value of -20dBfs through your speakers while measuring the SPL with an SPL meter. Turn the volume up gradually until the meter reads 83dBSPL. Once you have reached this point, stop and mark the position on your monitor volume control where this reading occurred. This should be your new "0" and where you should always return to when mixing.

You can go further and measure 1 dB increments and mark those above and below the "0" point as well if you want to know where you are at. It also gives a good reference to how intrinsically loud the material is.

For more information, check out Bob Katz's K-System. There's loads of info on it all over the internet.

Cheers :)

Back