Cakewalk with YPT 410 yamaha keyboard - midi confusion

des68

Hello - after 3 days trying to figure this out I am stumped and I need some help. I stumbled across this fantastic site so I'm hoping someone can please explain this to me in beginner terms... :confused:

I have a yamaha ypt 410 keyboard, with a usb hook-up to my computer which is running cakewalk's music creator 4.

I am trying to record into cakewalk several midi tracks from the keyboard. This I have managed to figure out, and I can play them back through the keyboard.

BUT I really want to save this music onto my computer as wav, wma or mp3 - I don't particularly care which. I learned that I can create an "audio" track and playback my midi files into that to do what I want but I can't seem to do this. I really want to keep my midi "voices" in the music I'm creating and no matter what I do everything just reverts to grand piano.

I know that midi is data, not sound... but how can I get this data to tell my computer to play my music the way I want it to be played?

Is there even a way with the setup I have?

Sorry for the long post - I just wanted to give you all the info ... and thank you...

I don't have Music Creator so I don't know if you can insert Soft Synths or not... That would be the way to convert your recorded Midi into the audio voices you desire (Sonar 7 & 8 do it this way).

Barring that, and if you are partial to the voices being produced by your Yamaha during playback: Connect an audio cable from the audio Out of your Yamaha to the audio In of your Sound Card.

Arm an Audio track to record in Cakewalk (in the same Midi Project you're wanting to convert) and assign the track's input to your Soundcard input.

Press 'Record' and the Midi being sent to your keys will then be recorded as the voices from the Yamaha...

Clear as mud? ;)

Again, I don't use Music Creator and have never attempted this, but sitting here at my desk at work (away from my studio) I'm thinking in theory it should work just fine...

Good luck!

Oh... And welcome to the site!

:)

Yes, like BentRabbit said... You must record the audio from your Yamaha back to Cakewalk as Audio Track (either one by one or all MIDI track at once)... Then you mix the audio tracks... :)

Back