Cakewalk Timecode Help?

JPlush76

hey all, I'm new to the sonar family and home recording...

basically my situation is:

i have a 4 piece rock band, I record the live drums on my tascam 788 digital porta studio and I want to take those tracks and dump them into my computer one by one to edit them

the 788 has a time code generator and can act as a slave or master

I'm a COMPLETE midi/timecode novice, but I just want to have the 4 drums tracks to dump into my computer one by one but still in perfect timing with each other.

In Sonar it works like this:

1. Connect the midi cable to the out port on the computer, and to the in port on the 788.
2. Set the 788 to recieve midi time code.
3. Open a new Cakewalk file.
4. Set the tempo
5. Go into Options and select projects.
6. In the project screen you should see several tabs.
7. Choose metronome first and uncheck the recording box. You don't want the metronome to possibly bleed onto your tracks.
8. Choose the midi out tab.
9. Select the first and third check boxes. One of the next boxes should ask you what channel to transmit on. Normally its just channel 1, unless you setup is more elaborate. Just set the port number that correspond to the port you are using.
10. There should be one more box below this to check. The ones all the way at the bottom are not important for this. (Sorry, doing this from memory.)
11. Once you have done this, got to the main Cakewalk tracking window.
12. Mute (or solo) your tracks to play individually.
13. Hit record. Your 788 should start.
14. Continue recording each track as desired.

Hope it helps you out..

so doing all that will allow me to track the bass into my computer, then the snare, then the overheads and all the time signatures will match up? :o

holy joy!

When I tried transfering from adats (in pa-8) there was a midi sync slop +/- several ms in there. (Perhapse just a midi resolution limit at the time?) Is it tighter in this setup?
It might be interesting to zoom in on some nice sharp peaks to see.
Wayne

were you using cakewalk as the slave or master?

I read in my tascam manual it said the 788 is a more stable master than a PC computer, perhaps you have that issue?

JPlush76, sorry I didn't see your post earlier.
I was trying to do adat sync which had me looking for sample accurate resolution. This didn't happen, as it was explained to me that most apps/ opperating systems (windows) end up with 'midi' sync as the 'midle man' in the process. I ended up nixing the whole idea and just dumping all the tracks at once anyway.
The slop was something like plus or minus eight or ten ms (? from memory?) and it was diferent each time I tested it, in either direction.
Wayne

I actully got it to work perfectly now

I can dump each track in one by one in perfect time together

me happy :)

Back