Cakewalk Sonar 3 Q&A (Part 2) & Video Tutorials

garrigus

www.garrigus.com
Hi Everybody,

The 20th issue of my free music technology newsletter is now available. In this issue, you'll find some great step-by-step tutorials about Cakewalk's new Sonar 3. You'll also find a great article about where to find some of the best free music software on the Web.

I also announce the new DigiFreq Enhanced Edition as well as the Nudge Editing Tools for Cakewalk's Sonar.

And for this issue's contest, I'm giving away a free copy of the new INTAKT software loop sampler from Native Instruments!

Here's more about what you'll find in this month's issue:

1. Scott's Notes - The New DigiFreq Enhanced Edition
2. DFreqCONTEST - Native Instruments INTAKT
3. DFreqREVIEWS - Sonic Implants Symphonic String Collection
4. DFreqDEALS - Smart Loops Sample Loop CDs
5. DFreqDISCUSS - How To Get An AM Radio Effect?
6. DFreqTOPIC - Sonar 3 Q&A (Part 2)
7. DFreqTOPIC - Music Software Freebies (Part 2)
8. DFreqTIP - Quick Audio Preview in Windows XP

You can get this issue for free, and have the chance to win the INTAKT software, just go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

And for more information about the DigiFreq Enhanced Edition and the Nudge Editing Tools for Cakewalk's Sonar, go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/enhancedinf.asp?EnhID=1

Thanks!
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge and Sound Forge 6, SONAR, SONAR 2 and SONAR 3 Power! books; Publisher of DigiFreq.

Chill down, Q :) Mr. Garrigus has been a good guy. I think he's just offering something usefull for Cakewalk users. I bet if he has plenty of time, hanging here more often, we're gonna love him like we do moskus... :D

Qwerty said:
How isn't this spam?
Q.

ummmm.....

because it doesn't come in your e-mail?
because digifreq is free and full of useful information?
because it doesn't offer to enlarge your penis or breasts?
because it's not a source for low-cost pharmaceuticals...etc

;)

Ted

I don't have a problem with Scott's free newsletter which he has posted here before. I didn't even have a problem with Scott flogging his books in answer to direct "Cakewalk is not a Cakewalk"-type questions on the board.

This thread however, isn't an answer, it's just an ad.

And I don't recall Scott popping in everytime there was a new free issue of the newsletter of which he wanted to make us aware. Nor is he an active community member.

The test of spam is -

Is it unsolicited?
Is it selling something?
Is it off topic?

So, yes it was unsolicited, yes it is selling something - the "enhanced edition" and it wasn't posted in the "Free Ads" section.

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck......

:) Q.

Hi James and Ted,

Thanks so much for your support! I really appreciate it.

Yes, DigiFreq is free and provides a TON of useful information for music technology users including Cakewalk users. Everyone is welcome there... even those who may disagree with me
at times. :)

And in case some people don't know... I did include HomeRecording.com in the Resources section of my Sonar 3 Power book.

You help me, I help you. One hand washes the other, and all that jazz... ;)

Best regards,
Scott

PS. Actually I DO come by here every time there is a new free issue of the newsletter. I'm just very busy and even though the newsletter is supposed to come out every month, that doesn't always happen.

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge and Sound Forge 6, SONAR, SONAR 2 and SONAR 3 Power! books. All books 30% off at:
http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free copy of Native Instruments' INTAKT software loop sampler and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 15,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:

Qwerty said:
How isn't this spam?

Q.
I felt the same way, Q, when I first saw this. However, I chose to look the other way, since Scott does contribute here on a semi-regular basis.

However, I must admit I felt just a bit slimy recognizing that I was making a distinction that some spam is OK. :(

Of course, our complaining has the contrary effect of keeping his post at the top of the list. :)

This just in!

This same exact post is in the (are you ready?) DEALER ADS forum on the "other" site.

Apparently even the author knew it was an advertisement.

Where's my spam stamp?? :D

I`ve read a lot of information that Mr Garrrigus has posted freely of his own accord, with no obligation to the reader, other than to ask the questions and be patient for a valid and thorough response. I read many posts at another, and thought it would be great if he posted here as well due to many needing information and as an additional helpt to a few great guys here that have the knowledge and expertise that are overloaded at times in questions being posted. It turns out that he had been posting here, although not that frequently. I`m applaud his efforts to bring greatly needed and useful information to this site, offering it freely and humbly, again of his own accord and cost only to himself.

Last edited:
dachay2tnr said:
This just in!

This same exact post is in the (are you ready?) DEALER ADS forum on the "other" site.

Apparently even the author knew it was an advertisement.

Where's my spam stamp?? :D

Of course it was an advertisement.

That doesn't make it spam.

Definition:

spam ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spm)
n.
Unsolicited e-mail, often of a commercial nature, sent indiscriminately to multiple mailing lists, individuals, or newsgroups; junk e-mail.

Words have meanings. Just because Scott is advertising his FREE newsletter doesn't mean he is spamming.

Ted

tedluk said:
Of course it was an advertisement.

That doesn't make it spam.

Definition:

spam ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spm)
n.
Unsolicited e-mail, often of a commercial nature, sent indiscriminately to multiple mailing lists, individuals, or newsgroups; junk e-mail.

Words have meanings. Just because Scott is advertising his FREE newsletter doesn't mean he is spamming.

Ted
Words do have meaning. And those meanings often morph or extend over time. Sorry if I offended you by using a looser definition of the word spam than your Merriam Webster provides. However, the key word in your definition is "unsolicited."

Dragon charges to advertise on this site. Look at the top of the page. Do you think those banner ads are free? So why should advertising be allowed within the confines of the forums?

Look, I don't want this to come across as an attack on Scott. He is much less blatant than many, and is also a contributor. That cuts him some slack in my eyes. However, please don't try and tell me this isn't spam - that's exactly what it is.

Sorry. I don't agree.

If words do, indeed, have meanings then this qualifies as an unsolicited ad, nothing more. We are confronted with unsolicited ads on an almost constant basis, that does not make them spam.

In fact, you make my point by referencing the banner ads on this page. I didn't ask to see them so they are unsolicited as well, by your "loose" definition these are spam too. The difference is that Dragon received payment for them which is the trade-off we accept for having a free forum.

Whether Scott should be allowed to create this thread is not for me to say, it's not my forum. All I'm pointing out is that Scott creating this thread does not qualify as "spam". Not only isn't it e-mail, but you were not forced to view it if you didn't wish to, and it was not indiscriminate.

If Dragon feels similarly to you then he can ask Scott to cease and desist or remove the post or, if this is a serious issue, ban him from the forum. That none of these things have happened indicates to me that Dragon is ok with the post so I don't see what the problem is.

Ted

Hi Toki, Spin, and Ted,

Thanks for your support! I really appreciate it. Yep, I learned a long time ago that ya just can't please everyone. I'm just happy that most people enjoy the work that I do. :)

Best regards,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge and Sound Forge 6, SONAR, SONAR 2 and SONAR 3 Power! books. All books 30% off at:
http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free copy of Native Instruments' INTAKT software loop sampler and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 15,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:

Back