Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 -- newbie problem with aux effect

Bluesyone

Hi-
Please excuse a perhaps silly question -- I'm naive to this stuff.
Anyhow, I am playing around with a recording I did in Pro Audio 9.
I am trying to route several guitar tracks to the Aux reverb effect. I have the aux send levels set for those tracks (and the green LEDs are lit to send), have adjusted the send/receive levels, and set the aux to "post".
The problem is that when I play back the recording, I do not have any consistency with the aux reverb --- it will perhaps come through on one track. Then, oddly, if I adjust either the return level on the aux, or the send level on the track, I will hear the reverb on that track very briefly, then it switches off.
Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks!

Also, does anyone recommend any URLs (including from this site) for a Cakewalk complete novice?

Hmmm... it sounds like your computer is struggling to drive a reverb in real time.

What are your system specs?

moskus said:
Hmmm... it sounds like your computer is struggling to drive a reverb in real time.

What are your system specs?

I'm running Win XP home on a Pentium 4 2.2 Ghz with 768MB DDR ram. I had been using a new Extigy (USB) until yesterday -- after reading on here and elsewhere that USB doesn't have the requisite bandwidth. So yesterday I popped in my old Aurreal Vortex card. Then I noticed that latency slider in Pro Audio 9, which I reduced. Now I seem to be able to apply real-time effects to multiple tracks (but not through the Aux). I just tried the reverb on aux for 2 tracks and the same thing happens --- the reverb cuts off, and I have to slightly tweak either the send or return level, and it comes back on for a short bit, then cuts off again.

Would you recommend that I dump the Extigy? I already disconnected it from my system.

Thanks again

Bluesyone said:
Would you recommend that I dump the Extigy? I already disconnected it from my system...

Don't ask moskus about any Creative cards... he'll give you hammer to fall them off... :D :D :D

Anyway, yes... you should dump it imediately. The only reason to use Creative's card is because it's MIDI capability (play soundfonts and MIDI port). And it has to be PCI card. No USB...

;)
Jaymz

James Argo said:
Don't ask moskus about any Creative cards... he'll give you hammer to fall them off... :D :D :D
It's the only way to have fun with a Creative card. :D

Ah ok thanks. In defense of myself ;-), I paid about $14 for the Extigy. Given that I'm sub-amateur (and not a good musician!), I don't want to sink a lot of $ into a multitrack sound card at this point. Also, I don't have any MIDI gear (just an old Alesis SR16 drum machine).
There is an overhwelming about of information to learn about digital recording!!!

Don't take it so hard, buddy :) I hear ya' :D Well, if don't feel into "pro" soundcard yet, then at least you better choose one which *at least* doesn't give you pain in the @ss ;) First rules are to avoid USB and onboard soundcard. SBLive! PCI card is cheap, yet will be good enough to record your demo. You can use it also as MIDI playback device (soundfonts). Just make sure you install propher driver.

;)
Jaymz

Hehe ok. USB has been officially ditched.
Are soundfonts applicable to me if I don't have any MIDI gear?
I need to do a Google search to find out exactly what soundfonts are...

Back