Cakewalk and Roland XP - 30 midi issues?!?!

SolRa

Hi,

Thanks for stopping by to read my S.O.S. call in how to set up cakewalk to send midi data to a Roland XP- 30 to play the patches. I have studied the manual for the keyboard and it says how to do it but in a toally different format that cakewalk asks for.

Does anyone have any expertise in this area? If so could you please help me out... There is nothing more frustrating when you have a new toy and you have inspiration happening and you cant get the fu!@#er to work! :)

Cheerz... ;)

BTW : whats a 'LSB'?? I just love how manuals expect you to know the jingo already...

If it is a least significant bit how come it has the power of giving me sound or not?

Now im at the stage where the keyboard is freezing the computer when i trigger its first note.

S.O.S.!!!

I have the same setup as you. Unfortunately, I'm not in front of my system right now. I do remember that if you put remote on, it will freeze the system. Make sure remote and local are both off on the midi settings.

I had so many problems when I first started as well, but I am working very well now. When I get to the studio I'll give you the settings I use.

C+

As long as you have Local off and remote off, you should be set. Did you get the Ins. Def? Do you hear anything at all?

Let me know, We can try to troubleshoot.

All sorted...

I have sorted out the problems i was having, all i can say is don't put all your trust in a manual.... use a bit of trial and error and logic. :)

Although there is one thing that still annoys me is i can hear the internal clock very slightly clicking when the keyboards midi out is plugged in?!?!? Its just enough noise to destroy a quiet section of music. Is there a way of stopping this?

Cheerz...+

You can't hear the internal clock ticking, it's freaking electrons bouncing around in some ICs fer chrissakes...

It must be the metronome, set to a very low volume. It's set to click in play, or possibly you recorded it along with your other data. Look up metronome in the help system.

Well it has to be something like that because the Roland XP-30 doesnt have a metronome in it because it doesnt have sequence capabilities. There is no reference to it in the manual at all. It clicks whether im playing something or not, it just keeps going unless i pull out the midi out plug then i cant hear it. I think it must be something to do with the midi on my soundcard.

Thanks anyway...

Back