Cakewalk 8.04 Chokes

Landie

I am trying to record my midi tracks to audio. While I am recording the music, it plays fast then slow then it stops playing by itself. I am not able to solve this problem. Please Help. I am using 3 different midi ports.

Try to narrow down the culprit. Is the midi by itself fine? Is the audio alone O.K. Does this only happen when you try to record your midi to audio? Also, check settings in control panel and in CW audio/options, for proper config.
You may want to simplify your approach and get one midi port to record properly, then build up from there.

bball jones,

The midi tracks play fine and the audio(Recorded Vocals) tracks play fine. Together they all play fine. I tried recording 1 midi port at a time, and I still have this problem. Maybe someone can tell me what my settings should be for audio options. I don't know what else to try. I am using Layla Audio Card.

maybe screen choice...

I have experienced a similar problem with cakewalk HS 9 while trying to do this; though mine has never stopped, sometimes the playback while record is jerky though...

What corrected my problem was the choice of view i used in cakewalk, track,console,notation, etc. ... apparantly cakewalk will slow down when it has too much to draw on screen during playback ...if you had say 5 - 10 tracks open in notation view while trying to do this...

i record in console view or track view, and have had no problems since.
hope this works for you

Hey Landie-
Check out your hard disk to make sure you have ample space and clean out any unwanted temp files. For audio options (general tab) make sure your Layla is the recording and playback mastering device, bit depth set to 16 (for starters), sample rate, 44K. Click drivers tab, make sure Layla i/o drivers are selected and nothing else. Advanced tab, enable simultaneuos record/playback.

Hi Landie - the following tips in the cakewalk power book helped me quite a lot re the choking problems (although they didn't solve them completely) - make sure DMA is activated for the HD (Device manager/Properties, I think) and reduce the graphics card acceleration. Also check the buffer settings in cakewalk. You might also want to disable the screensaver and change display properties to 600x800 res and only 256 colors. Mine is still choking when I have a lot of fx patched in the console view - still trying to figure out why :) - but it's ok now for recording midi to audio, which i do before I patch any fx. cheers - Malgo.

Back