CAD PDK5C, AUDIO TECHNICA, AND THE LIKES

lthrbls

i know these drum mic packages have been mentioned, and i have read the replies about them. basically, i get that i would be better off buying some better mics, and less of them.

i currently have a shure sm57, a shure sm57beta, and a sm58.

i noticed that a lot of people use the sm57 for snare drum mic'ing. does anyone reccommend using the others (sm57 beta and sm58) on any other piece of the drum kit?

also, people mentioned the use of better mics. well, the $250 price range sounded good to me for the cad mic set. what other mics, specifically, would you guys reccommend (even if used condition) me looking for?

the drum kit in question is a pearl 4 piece. with the cad set, i planned to mic the kick, each tom, two overheads, amd use my sm57 for the snare. do you think this is overkill?

please help!

thanks..

~justin

I use a set of those CAD mics and have been happy with them. A friend of mine played my set and went and bought a new set of CADs the next day.I don't know if they changed or what but he took them back after the first gig. I use my own board and mix the sound I want first, then send a signal to the main board. I also use a beta 52 on my bass and a 57 on the snare. If you plan to record I'm sure spending more money would make more of a difference, but if you only plan to play live you should be able to adjust a decent sound on a limited budget.

At that price, why don't you get an ATM25 for kick drum and another SM57Beta (they're condensers, right?), use 2 of them for overheads. You already have a snare mic. Add another sm58 and you've got 2 tom mics, though that's not necessary.

Aaaa... No

Shure Beta 57s are NOT condensers; they are dynamics, just like it's daddy (genes you know). I've not had the opportunity to compare an SM57 and a Beta 57 bet EVERY person I've talked to says the Beta 57's not worth the extra money. However, I've known some to agree that it might be worth it for a snare (maybe).

In that case dump it on Ebay and get a couple of Rode NT3-s or something like that :) I still believe that it's better to put together your own "package".

ok

so, you would reccommend a r0de nt3 for overheads and everything else?

also, what's up with the audix d2 drum mic for kick drums? is this mic worth anything??

Here Is what I use and have been very happy with the results as have the clients.

CAD Pack which includes
1 ND-11
2 ND-10's
------------------------
SM-57 X 2
SM-58
AT 4033 behind the set about 6 feet
TLM-103 overhead

That gives me 8 tracks of drums and a fair amount of control over sound.. But as far as the CAD pack goes they are well worth the money but not the best, Hey I love um..

Shakes,

Have you hugged your JoeMeek today?

Back