CAD M179 with Roland Octa-Capture

hb_record

Hi,

I am trying to figure out whether running a pair of CAD M179 mics in a Roland Octa-Capture can potentially damage the interface.

The Octa-Capture supports a maximum of 6mA per input channel, whereas the CAD M179 requires 8mA per the spec.
The interface has a dedicated power supply (not the USB) just for delivering phantom power.

I searched extensively for anyone in a similar situation, but all I found so far were issues faced when running the CAD m179 on supplies that handled about 3mA per channel.

I checked with Roland customer support about the potential for damage, and they couldn't say if it would cause damage but just said that it is not recommended to run anything that draws more than 6mA.

I have two concerns:
1) Does the CAD M179 have any tolerance for supplies about 2mA lower than the spec ? I read in one post that the mic apparently has some tolerance regarding the input supply.
2) Is it possible for a condenser mic to actually draw more power than the supply can provide ? I was under the (possibly wrong) impression that the supply can only provide its maximum and therefore, will only supply a lower current than the mic's requirements without any damage.

I'm trying to avoid adding more components to my setup, just to bridge a 2mA current draw gap (provided that there is no risk involved).
I would greatly appreciate any inputs on this(even if you haven't tried to use this exact mic/interface combo yourself).

Thanks,
Hirak

Back