CAD E200

Ralphyboy

I was wondering if anyone had used the E200 {CAD}. I was thinking about it for Female vocals, the salesmen told me that it had a cool edge in the mids that sounded good with female vox .The price was about 350.00 or so.I looked at the AKG 3000 and the Rode NT1 and I thought that they were a little brite {too sibilent} for her voice .Thanks for your input

The E200 is a great mic. I've had one for 4 yrs now.

It has cardiod, figure 8 and omni polar patterns.
It can also run on battery instead of phantom power if you don't have it.
I have used mine on lot's of women's voice. Mine too.
I also like the NTV Rode unit. A little more but warm rich tone.Tell the salesman that you want to try it out.
If they say no, then take your business elsewhere.

[Edited by Ears on 09-26-2000 at 19:17]

Try it first! Always wise.
Tip. I like to use it on omni or figure 8 if there is a lot of sibilance.
Just keep what's behind or around the mic quiet.
It is still my favorite on acoustic guitar too.
Have you got a good mic pre?

I have a ART MP that I use with a E100...But for the things of importance I'll be borrowing a Avalon.Ya I will make them let me try it first.. Sam Ash they are good about that!It seems like a good value {E200}350.00...If it works for me then its also gonna help group
backing vocals..Omni/Fig8...Ears thanks for your input

Shop the E 350. It's a CAD " chips and dip " version. Using it with female vox and love it. But yeah, use YOUR ears and decide if the extra banudas $$$ are worth it. I say yes, I'll put that bad girl up aganist some serious buckos mics out there.

OK.everytime I ask to listen (?) to a mic here in texas ,they say its against health code here to sing into a mic that I might not purchase,any one else heard about this??

Randy5235,
If that healthcode thing were true I guess that would make Karaoke illegal too. Sounds like the store is so cheap they don't have demo's on-hand. Walk away.

I dont mean demo model's I'm talking about individual mic's my experience has been that each and every mic tend to sound a little different sou I would like to try the mic im going to buy not a demo of the same mic

Horsepucky!
I USED to shop at a store that once told me that.

I went in the next week and asked to rent it.

Sure......Needless to say I don't shop there anymore.

Sheesh, whenever I tried to ask about the Equiteks, I never got any answers. Does the E-200 really have figure-8 and omni, just like the E-350? What's the advantage of the E-350? How do these compare to AKG and Audio Technicas? Let's not only concentrate on female vocals, either, not everybody has those :D

Don't have the E200 but I do have an E100. I use it for male vocals with an ART Tube MP and love it. My understanding is the E200 has 2 diaphrams back to back rather than one like the E100. Therefore, the figure eight pattern and somewhat of an omni pattern. I like the CAD gear and highly recommend it.

Hey Gear Junky, I just ordered an E-200 and will soon have a chance to compare it to an AT4050 in my studio. I'll report back on how I like the mic and any differences I can hear between the two.

But yes the E-200 really does have omni and figure 8. And it's quite a bit less $$$ than any other multipattern mic but this is no surprise. CAD has a reputation for some pretty high dollar features for a low price. I too use CAD E-100's for drum overheads and I *really* like them. In fact, I like them better than AKG 414's. Perish the thought. Then again, I'm not that big a fan of 414's except they sound nice and warm on female vocals. On female vocals I like 414's better than Neumanns. Maybe I just have cheap taste. :)

Differences between the E-200 and E-350: E-350 has a different and supposedly better capsule, though I don't know the differences in their specs and how exactly it is supposed to be better. The 350 also has a 20dB pad and a hi-pass filter and I don't believe the E-200 has either one.

--Lee

Correction, the E-200 DOES have both the hi-pass filter and the 20dB pad. Sooo I guess the only differences are in the capsules. Be interesting to do a direct comparison of sound and find out if the 350 really is worth another $200.

--Lee

Yeah, yeah...

You said it, Flier :) I don't care if it's "expensive" or "inexpensive" to pay $300-600 for a mic, but it sure is a lot of money! It still buys the same amount of Snickers candy bars (or ART Tube MP-s) ;D

No doubt. We junkies need to save money so we can get our next fix! :) Well now this has me curious, so I went and compared the specs on the 200 and the 350.

The 200 has two single diaphragm capsules, while the 350 has a one dual-diaphragm capsule. This would seem to alter the pickup patterns although I don't see a drastic difference from glancing at the diagrams.

Signal-to-noise ratio is 83dB on the 350 (at 94dB sound pressure level) compared to 78dB for the 200.

Frequency response is 10Hz to 20KHz for the 350, 10 to 18K for the 200. I guess my dog could tell the difference.

Dynamic range - 137dB for the 350, 132dB for the 200. How many of us have recorders with a dynamic range as high as 132dB? I know I don't!

Maximum SPL is 148dB with the pad on, for both mics. Maximum output level is 8.9dBV for both mics (without the pad). Total harmonic distortion is less than .15% for both mics.

Oops, my %*($ keyboard locked up and I couldn't finish the last message. Anyway, spec-wise it doesn't look like the differences between the two mics are great enough to make a huge difference to the average home recordist - not a $200 difference, anyway. 'Course if the 350 really sounds dramatically better it could be worth it.

I'm gonna see if I can do a comparison between them and also compare both to the AT 4050. Having friends who work in audio stores is a distinct advantage. :)

--Lee

It is a great versatile mic. and yes has all the above. Including character, and great looks to impress the clients....Hey, profile is important too.

[Edited by Ears on 10-02-2000 at 22:32]

Back