CAD E100 vs...?

CharlesThomas

I have a CAD E100 that I got years ago. It has been my primary vocal and acoustic instrument mic for years. I'm about to go into a new CD project and have upgraded my deck, my compressor, and my mic preamp. I'm also thinking about upgrading my mic.

How does the E100 compare to the NT1 or NT2 (about which I've heard good things on this bbs)?

Does anyone have other recommendations for a good vocal mic in the $300-400 range?

Thanks.

CT

I'll second that 4033! I use one through an Aphex 107 pre (hopefully to be upgraded to a Great River) into my Minidisc, not bad on my voice, but you may want to find a dealer who will let you try it out and possibly return it. I'll admit I've never tried the Rodes, but I liked the AT so I've kept it. The mic also sound pretty good on acoustic guitar.
Good luck!
-Evan

I've also been very happy with my 4033. I've used it on acoustic (usually with a C1000S also) and vocals and liked the results. So far I only messed around with it on piano, but it seemed like it will work well on that also.

If you have a place you regularly buy from ask about a discount. I've bought a lot from a local Sam Ash recently and got the mic for $300. I bought an ART Dual MP at the same time, so that might have also helped lower the price (I think I paid $249 for that, their price was $279).

I haven't used the NT1 but a lot of people on this BBS love it. We also haven't seen Recording Engineer in this thread yet. Anyone wanna guess what mics he might recommend? :D

DaveO, you cheese ball.

$300-$400US, huh? Well my recommendations in that range have already been mentioned; 4033 or NT-2.

But I'll add this little bit just not to disappoint anyone:

For less than $500US w/shipping, you can get an Oktava MC-012 preamp body for $128US with an RTT M1/M3 capsule for $350.

If you can pull that extra $100US, I'd definately suggest that.

Another one for less than $500US is an Audio Technica AT4047, I also recommend that mic.

I may be a cheese ball, but I gotta brie me! Anyway, I didn't think I was going too far out on a limburger suggesting Oktavas.

[This message has been edited by DaveO (edited 05-31-2000).]

Thanks for not disappointing us RE.
But you forgot to say "from the Sound Room only" :)

CT
For a little more, you might want to check out the Shure KSM32. I have a 4033 and a KSM32 and the Shure is a little more flexible.
But if not, like everyone said, the 4033 is pretty decent.

>You might want to check out the Shure KSM32

I think I saw one of these at Full Compass this morning when I was picking up my "Tube Pac" preamp.

Large diaphragm, champagne-colored thing, yes?

I think they had it listed "on sale" at $542, which means I could probably get it for a little less than that.

Just a bit more than I want to spend, however.

Thanks for the tip. It looked like a pretty cool mic, and they were sure pushing it hard.

Gotta agree with Loudnaybor!. I used 2 KM32's
last weekend to mic a violinist for a jazz peice and was extremely satisfied with the sound!

Gordone,

I have been intrigued by the Great River...even to the point of thinking about buying the pre boards from Dan Kennedy and rolling my own unit. Have you heard one?

Have you tried the E200? I love mine. Great mic for lots of apps. Large diaphram too. The E100 is only a 3/4 inch I think.

Mark,
Not yet, but I just ordered the 3-d audio pre-party. It's primary use will be ac. gtr and vocals, so I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds. They actually used an AT-4033 and a Neumann KM84 for ac. gtr. I use the AT and a KM184. Unfortuntately my studio is in the living room in my apartment. I guess I'll decide after hearing the CD. I'm currently using an Aphex 107 so the GR will surely be an improvement. I just feel a bit weird about spending almost as much on a pre as each of my guitars cost. BUT I did just get a nice tax refund as well as a bunch of those savings bonds people buy for you when you're born (they just matured) So Mercenary Audio, here I (possibly) come!
-Evan

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarkW:
Gordone,

I have been intrigued by the Great River...even to the point of thinking about buying the pre boards from Dan Kennedy and rolling my own unit. Have you heard one?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back