CAD E100 on kick

Bob Keelan

Hi. I'm relatively new to recording drums. My setup is 2 Oktava MC012s for overheads,
a sm57 on the snare and the E100 on the kick. My basic theory is to get the best possible sound
with the overheads and then reinforce where necessary with the snare and kick mics.

I've made use of the search function here and
have seen that a good number of people like using the CAD on kick. I'm mostly concerned about
mic positioning on the kick with this mic. I started off about 2-3 feet away at roughly the
height of the bass drum. I think I picked up a little too much room at this distance though.
I would like a little less room and a little more thud so I'm thinking I need to move the kick
mic closer and lower.

What are your experiences with using the CAD as a kick mic?

I've used this mic a fair bit on kick, for both live gigs and studio work. I have never had it more than about 8" from the beater, and usually 4-6" away. Put the pad on though !

I like the CAD myself. Definitely bring it in much closer like the guy above said. Try starting out with it angled toward the bottom and play with the angle for your sound. if there's a hole in the drum head, I typically position it away from there; honestly like its sound better with the heads intact, anyways...

personally, i like the CAD a bit farther out. of course it depends on what you are trying to do with the drum sound... but 2-3 feet out gives a pretty good "big picture" of a bass drum.

not a crappy "modern" d112 near the beater sound at all.

a good compromise would be to build some sort of "drum tunnel" or at least put some baffles around the mic so you dont pick up as much room and get slightly better isolation.

maybe set up some stands and surround the mic in a tent to get rid of some of the HF stuff from the room.

i like a bit of room on my bass drum myself, but yea, out at 3 feet sometimes you can get a lot of cymbal.

Back