Cables, cables, cables - Decisions, decisions, decisions

Myriad_Rocker

I'm having a bit of a dilemma in figuring out what I want to do for acquiring new cabling for my monitoring chain, patch cables, etc.

On the one hand there is making my own. The materials (Canare star quad, neutrik connectors) would be about half the price of having them made for me or buying them in a store. Seems like a no brainer, right? BUT, I don't have a soldering iron or solder. And I've never soldered before. Now, that certainly doesn't deter me but I want a decent soldering iron if I'm gonna do it. That means $85 for a decent Weller and about $30 for some decent solder. That's another $110 even though that's a one time expense.

On the other hand there is Monoprice. I already use their cables in my home theater and other tasks. I've researched a bit and people talk pretty well about their professional audio cable line. I can get all that I need from them, already made, for just a tad more than the materials would cost. We're talking within $0 to $10 difference. BUT, I don't know what cable or connectors that they use.

I know that cable is cable in general. But I want to make the right decision. The positive about doing it myself is that I could then always make my own and repair my own. The other upside is making sure I have good cable and connectors. And I have control of the quality. The downside is obviously the hassle and labor.

The upside to Monoprice cables is that I simply don't have to mess with making them.

So...verdicts?

Last edited:
I make my own. It's not just a price thing, it's more of ongoing repairability, maintenance idea. I made ALL my cableing, snakes, mic cables, patch cables from Beldon cable and Switchcraft and/or Canare connectors. Everything is sized to its purpose so it looks neat. If anything fails or is damaged, I can repair it on the spot. I would strongly recommend that anyone doing basement recording invest in a volt/ohm meter and a decent soldering iron. It's cheep insurance in the long run and it's not hard to learn at all.

Monster cable is the most over priced cables on the market. They're not bad, they're just not great. Just the inputs and outputs of my multitrack would be 48 cables, not to mention mixer inserts, processors and such. Then the patchbay cables. It would be a fotune and they're no more durable or sonicly better than what I build. If they serve your purpose then great. I'll save my cash.

I've had good luck using AudioPile snakes and cables. He's a real person who will talk to you on the phone. He can custom build some things for you. And his prices are very reasonable.

Of course if you want professional grade connections, you should consider Whirlwind. Top of the line professional snakes, cables and connectors. Not cheap, but extremely well made. I know sound companies around the midwest who have whirlwind FOH snakes that are 30 years old, and still work flawlessly. I have a 32/8/150 snake with over 500 shows on it that every channel still works clean and true. I also use 3 whirlwind stage snakes (4di/4xl/75, 6xlr/50, 8xlr/40 drum drop) that are completely worry free.

Sorry, but another +1 for making your own. It's not just the initial cost, as somebody else pointed out, it's also the ability to repair cables as you go. Ninety percent of problems are in the connector and if you can open them up and resolder, you have a cable for life.

Beyond that, you have some extra flexibility. First, you can make cables exactly the right length. If you need something 45 inches long to reach your monitor, you make it 45 inches so you have a neatly tucked cable with nothing to hide away. Second, when you buy a new bit of gear and discover you need some unusual cable, it's not a problem. You just make it. Need an insert cable? Make one. A "Y" cable? Easily done. And so on.

As for the "hassle", perhaps I'm weird but I actually enjoy spending an afternoon making up cables. A cup of coffee by my side, my favourite programmes on the radio and I find it relaxing and "therapeutic". I guess it's like my wife enjoying knitting! I finish up relaxed and ready to go.

Finally, just to point out that putting connectors on cables (with the possible exception of some Speakons) is the easiest introduction to soldering you could ask for. It won't take you long to get the hang of it, not like putting ICs on a circuit board or something--that's lesson two!

So, enthusiastically, I say "go for it".

Bob

Back