Cables and Connectors

Ziller

Any tips on brand/where to get good bulk cable for making balanced and unbalanced cords (short patch cords and guitar/mike cables). Also, what is a good brand of XLR and 1/4" connectors (that arn't to expensive)?

Thanks for any help
Ziller

Easy...

The standard cable in professional studios is Mogami. Canare is coming on strong now. If you just have to spend a lot of money, buy Monster Studio Pro 1000 (hey guys, lets not get into any long "monster cable is a waste of money" posts here...it IS expensive, and it DOES sound better to many peoples ears....)

I will speak out about connectors. Everyone is recommending Nuetrix XLR connectors these days. I have one simple question to ask about that brand, how long you been using them? I can tell you that I have an audio snake with Switchcraft XLR's that is over 6 years old now. Every cable or snake I have used over the last 12 years of doing professional live sound has used Switchcraft, and the few places that had the other evil cheap brand of connectors ALWAYS have problems with them breaking.

Buy Switchcraft and own them for life! They are actually a bit cheaper these days, and the quality is outstanding, which is why they have been around for many many years.

Mogami and Switchcraft. That is your best cable/connector choices.

Do a search on http://www.google.com to find retailers near you, or where you can order the stuff.

Good luck.

Ed

Forgot something here...

Another thing you need to consider.

Balanced cabling has two different types of shielding available, foil and braided. Foil shielding is much better, and cheaper to buy, but the foil is easy to crack and break, thus, not suitable for microphone cable, or patch bay jumpers.

Braided shielding is much more expensive, and does not shield quite as well, so it is not really suitable for the miles of wire you will need to interconnect your studio.

Foil shielding for interconnects (like comprssors to the patchbay, etc....)

Braided shielding for mic cables and patchbay jumpers.

Also, you can usually get bulk wire with many induvidually shielded "pairs". This would be like audio snake wire, and is usually a better price then buy single line stuff (better price overall that is....but a 100' roll of Mogami 16 channel snake wire could set you back around $500 just for the wire....then there is the connector cost at around $4 per connector...YOU do the math here...:) ). So, you may want to buy like some 8 channel snake wire for your interconnects, foil shield of course, then some single line braided shield for your mic cables and patchbay jumpers.

Ed

Thanks for that reponse sonusman! About 8 years ago I helped install a new board at the college radio station I used to dj for, and I ended up with about 15 feet of this Canare L-4E6S which we used for the XLR connections into the studio. Now that you mention it, Switchcraft was the brand of connectors we used. Just out of curiosity, how does Canare rate against other cable?

Again, thanks for that response,
Ziller

Back