cable question

vbibber

Hi there,

I just got a behringer mic 100 preamp and I've got a question about which cables to use. First there is this unbalanced/balanced thing. The in's and out's on this thing are balanced. But since the output is going into the unbalanced line-in of my soundcard, it's not wise to use balanced cables right? The second fairly stupid question is, what a TRS cable exactly is. Is it just the same cable I use to connect my electric guitar to my amp?? Already thanks for your answers!

greetings,
vbibber

A TRS cable is a balanced cable. To explain it really basically, there are two main types of connecting cables 1/4" and XLR cables - 1/4" instrument/guitar cables are unbalanced, and XLR (MIC or 1/4" TRS cables are balanced. You can plug an unbalanced cord into a balanced source usually. Another term for balanced plugs is stereo plus.

Are you sure your sound card's line in's are unbalanced? If so, you're might wanna look at getting a better sound card. Usually a signal path goes like this: Sound->mic->Pre->Interface (soundcard)->DAW->Tracking Program

A stock soundcard doesnt' usually have great converters as an interface, especially if it isn't balanced. Check out M audio for better soundcard's like their audiophile series or their Delta series.

If you got no cash, you're stuck with what you got. You'll likely need to either buy or create a TRS to 1/8" (mini plug) cable to get from the pre to the line-in. Let me know what you think!

Jacob

Thank you both for the link and the excellent explanation! I know I should get a better soundcard, and I will in time. I'm building up slowly because of a serious lack of cash ;0). I was thinking of buying an unbalanced TS cable and a stereo minijack to dual mono 1/4" adapter. In that way I can use two channels to do recordings right? As long as I buy another pre-amp and microphone of course ;0). Thanks for your help!

Technically, just because a cable is TRS, doesn't mean it is balanced. A TRS cable is capable of carrying TWO signals, and a TS cable can only carry one signal. The two signals carried by a TRS cable may be the two needed for a balanced connection, but this is only if the gear on each end is balanced. A TRS cable can also carry a stereo signal (such as with headphones), or a Send/Receive when used with an Insert (ie from a mixer to a compressor)

Back