cable help

jimmy_LD

are there some companies/retailers out there that you guys prefer for obscure cables and such?

I am looking for a four to six foot male xlr to 1/4" trs cable to go from my mixer to my DA-30...

Let me know!
Jimmy

Moster makes some of the best. People think they are over priced, but that is all I buy anymore. No impedence problems.

When I bought my condenser mic at GC I needed a cable to go from the mic to a 1/4" input in my 4 track. They make that cord but they said that I would loose some of the effectiveness due to impedance.. Maybe this isn't the same...

scottboyher said:
When I bought my condenser mic at GC I needed a cable to go from the mic to a 1/4" input in my 4 track. They make that cord but they said that I would loose some of the effectiveness due to impedance.. Maybe this isn't the same...

The impedance problem you speak of is not from the cables, but they were right to tell you there would be a problem. If you had done that, you would be plugging a microphone into a line-level input. Not a good idea. That's what preamps are for!

It sounds like your mixer has balanced 1/4" line outputs, because the DA-30 (and DA-30II) has balanced XLR line inputs. If so, you shouldn't have any impedance problems. Go for it.

scottboyher said:
Won't that cause an impedance problem?

Not if the 1/4" end of the cable is a TRS type plug (stereo type plug) and the devices that cable is plugged into, accepts balanced connections.

scottboyher said:

How are you "powering" that mic? Batteries?

Don

Henri Devill said:
How are you "powering" that mic? Batteries?

Don

Yes! My very first condenser was a Rode NT3 that used Phantom Power or 9 vold battery. That was before I got a mixer that had Phantom..

You might also talk to Taylor Johnson at the Sound Room.

Taylor makes cables up using RamTech cable. It's very thin, and very good. A real space-saver, for sure. You can put several of them in a small bag.

Doug Quance said:
A real space-saver, for sure. You can put several of them in a small bag.

HAHA

I didn't realize that cables took up that much room. I mean, I have a lot of cables lying around, but I have never thought of them as something like, "if they were only a 1/10 of an inch less in diameter I could........"

LocusLarsen said:
HAHA

I didn't realize that cables took up that much room. I mean, I have a lot of cables lying around, but I have never thought of them as something like, "if they were only a 1/10 of an inch less in diameter I could........"

I know it's funny... I thought the same thing when Taylor told me about them, but it's true.

I can carry my mixer, my mics, my cables, my portable hard disk recorder, my RNC, mic stands, etc. into a club in one trip!

Back